Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mission Style Clocks & Pequegnat "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I enjoy some of the mission style clocks. Please post some pictures of some of your mission clocks!

This is the El Paso, by Gilbert in about 1910

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Tom

El Paso, by Gilbert

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the New Haven "San Martin", cir.1913.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

New Haven

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the "Aztec", by Sessions, cir.1910. It is only 18 inches tall.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Aztec

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the Gilbert "San Jose", cir.1913.
The label on the back says this is the "Model 55 D". The books have it identified as the San Jose. Maybe different years?? This one is about 25 1/2 inches high.

Please add you own mission style clocks to the site. I can't be the only one that thinks there is a certain attraction to this style.......or am I!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Gilbert

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...have a mission-style clock which I recently acquired...bears a label crediting it's manufacture to the "National Clock and Mfg Company"...but the movement looks like a Sessions to me...in any case, despite it's 'anonymity', I like it...Jim C Roll Eyes

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...have attached pic of another 'mission-style' clock this one NOT from the SW/US but SW Ontario, Canada...'tis the Arthur Pequegnat 'Ottawa' time-only..one of the mainstays of my Pequegnat collection here...Jim C

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim, I do like those missions style clocks. So far that makes two of us. I have been looking for a Pequegnat for awhile. They made a strong line of mission style clocks. Must be that "south of the border" influence. My cousin has a tall case clock called the "Halifax." He lives in Orilla. I saw a Pequegnat in an antique shop this weekend, but the price on those southern beauties put them out of my range. This one was similar to the Paris.

Thanks for posting the two above.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One more to add to the mission collection.

This one is a Pequegnat. It is the "Midget" and is marked "Berlin, Ont." This puts it before 1916. I have been seeking out a nice Pequegnat for some time, and this one came along where I least expected it. It was at an antique show that rarely has clocks. There were only two at the show, and this was one of them!

This is an eight day time only clock.

Tom

Pequegnat "Midget

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement.

Tom

midgetmvt.jpg

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Signatures

Tom

midgetmarks.jpg

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...congrats Tom!...nice Pequegnat (Peg-in-naw)!...one of over a hundred different models including longcase clocks that were the product of a Swiss watchmaker-emigre to Canada in 1874, Arthur Pequegnat, who was to establish Canada's most successful clock making company in Berlin (now Kitchener since 1916) Ontario...

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Some great looking clocks guys.

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Jim,
Thanks for the pronunciation of Pequegnat. I don't think I'll ever be able to spell it correctly though. Tom, there's one on ebay now. I have a draft timer clock that might fit in this mission style, picture is somewhere on this site already. I should have bought a tall case mission style clock by Stickley Brothers about 15 years ago, in Eureka Springs. Somebody got a bargain!

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I don't have Conover's book.

Gilbert made some nice mission clocks. I has a ladder chain grandfather that was, I believe, a Gilbert also, but sold it many years ago. Wish I didn't.

The triangle on the end of the suspension spring to hold the top of the pendulum rod sounds right. A lot of them are done that way.

Please post some pictures if you can, and let us know when you get it up and running.

Andy,
.....Stickley Bros. ....now that would be nice to have!!!

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I think the Stickley was only $2500 or less. At the time I had no place to put it. (still don't) Big Grin I have a picture of it somewhere if I can find it.

Andy.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
To post a photo here, after you click on the 'Reply' icon you go to the last symbol on the tool bar there...click on it and then 'Browse' to find the file on your 'puter(jpeg file should be 640 x 480 to fit here properly) then 'Open' and hit 'Post Now'...c'est tout!...

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for stepping in guys! Jim has it down pretty good, Bob. If you have any problems you can post here or send me an email. ( Just click on the name at the left top of any of my posts and it will lead you to an email address.)

Now that you have that camera, just jump in with both feet and have fun with it.

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good afternoon:

I guess I'm a little late on this one, but here it is. It is a Sessions #62 Mission.
Circa??? No Idea!
Cheers!
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Never too late Grant!! That's a nice one. I could not find it in Tran's Sessions book. I would guess it would be the same time frame as the others, from about 1908 to 1911 or so.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I don't think this is really the Mission style, but close. I think this is a Junghans. It is mahagony wood, most real mission furniture is oak.

Andy

Junghans

posted
Grant, How does mine compare with yours? I have some history on mine. Mine was made by the Union Loom Works Company (case only). I believe the movement is a Sessions. These were made as store promotional items. The clock was placed into the front window of the store and started. Each customer who bought something received a card with a date and time on it. The customer who had the card which showed the exact time that the clock stopped, won the clock. The Union Loom Works Co was a large maker of looms and washboards. They evidently wanted to utilize the expertise that they had and got into clock cases. The exact year of this is unknown, but is believed to have been won as a prize in the teens.

Tom

posted
Here's a Seth Thomas mission floor clock. I have yet to find any info on this clock, can anybody help? I recently purchased a New Haven weight driven mission floor clock, and haven't room for both. I'd like to sell this one and would like to be able to tell a prospective buyer more about it.

Posts: 30 | Location: Maple Heights, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Here's the Seth Thomas mission floor clock movement

Posts: 30 | Location: Maple Heights, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:

The clocks do look similar for sure except for the dial numbers; mine are black.
Also your case is a lighter color and my bob is a shinny replacement where yours appears original. It is great that you have the history on yours. I have no idea where mine came from (other than being from Kansas).
Best regards,
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Nice clock. I like when the pendulum design matches the design on the dial. Below is a picture of a similar German clock.

George,
I have looked through all of my Seth Thomas books and cannot find your mission grandfather. My guess is it will be in the second volume of Tran's book to published soon.

Tom

posted
Tom, this clock you are showing, is it a box clock, i have seen some and they were quite nice.I like the mission style too, i used to not like them but the more i look i can apreciate it more. Smile

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I think that is my favorite clock. I bought it when I first moved to where I live now. It has a very nice Westminster chime sound that you can hear through the house. The 6 pieces of glass in the lower half of the door are thick bevelled glass.

Andy