Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I Got Fed Up Looking At Stopped Clock. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
My local "Watering Hole" is a meeting place for most of the locals and is widely patronised by the many visitors to our village. To get to the point, The Clock on the pub wall is an ANSONIA Regulator and it has been stopped for ages.
I may need some help from you lot as i, in a moment of madness offered to take it home and sort it. I am to collect in my car Monday morning. It may or may not need parts. I will take pictures and keep you informed of the project, I keep thinking should I have kept quiet? What do you guys think?. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...sounds like a fun project to me...now how strong is the call to horology eh?...well done GED...just know you'll sort it out... Wink

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged!! Good show!! Have fun with the restoration, ask all the questions you want. I, as well others here, help all we can.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Ansonia Regulator A, Clock is now on my wall at home. It is running and keeping reasonable time, however the strike is an hour out, struck 12 at one pm. I'll let it run awhile and then pull the face to have a look at the movement. Could the strike got out of sync' by me moving it to my home?. I just thought if it did what's to stop it happening again when i take it back?. Advice welcome, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Most of those clocks have the hour hand friction tight on the hour cannon. It is most likely a countwheel strike. It is very easy for it to get out of sinc. There are two ways to correct this. One is to have the clock strike, until the strike matches the hand. There should be a wire hanging down to the bottom of the dial, on the left side of center. If you push this trip wire up, it will activate the strike. The other way is to simply move the hour hand to match the strike count. It is usually easy to do, but if the hand is on very tight, be sure not to bend the hand in the attempt.

If you had it set right, and it went out of sinc while running, then the first thing I would check would be the arm that drops into the count wheel. The flat blade on the end of the arm needs to be in the middle of the space, not dragging on either side. This does not lock the strike, it just provides the correct lift for continuing or locking. It should not be against the edge of the slot when locked. If it rides against the side, it will occassionally not fall far enough to lock, and the strike will continue to the next hour.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Ged, glad to hear you are doing some clock repair, hope this repair goes good for you, keep us posted on how this clock goes.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All, Clock is still running, keeping good time and strike is now in correct sync' thanks to Tom's advice. I think I will pull face tomorrow and check all is okay with movement. The only remedial work iv'e had to do so far is put clock in beat by tweaking the crutch and putting the strike right. Will keep you informed, wish I knew how to post pictures. Ged.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Ged,

now there is an excuse if I ever saw one..

Honey, I have to go to the pub at least once a week to wind the clock, Honest, I am the only one that can do this. Big Grin Wink

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Bruce, I already go twice a week, the winding exercise will make it 3 times I can't possibly do it on Wed' night or my other visit on Sat' lunchtime. Your'e very sharp to be one jump ahead of my missus. Regards, Ged.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Good to see you got it straightened out Ged. If it keeps pub time, it may stop just before closing!

Tom

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi All, Forgive me if I get this wrong, I am trying to post picture of Pub Clock, Here goes,

DSC00060

posted
Nice clock Ged, glad to hear it is running well now.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged,
Thanks for the picture. That's a beauty!! I've always liked that model! Glad you got it going again.

Tom

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
The Clock is going back to pub tomorrow, I will take picture so you can see it in its rightful place. Thanks for your interest, Ged.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Ansonia Clock is back in 'pub, I'll see if I can post picture,And a view of my Foster's pump.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Interesting project on a really beautiful clock Ged! Can't wait to see more pictures! By the way, do they keep the chime going or is it allowed to run down?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Lin, Strike is left on all the time, I have picture of clock on wall in pub' but am experiencing difficulty in posting it, I will persevere.Ged.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Here goes again, Ansonia on wall in pub'

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
I'm feeling clever now, my Foster's pump, I have to visit tonight to check on clock.

posted
Ged,

It would probably be a very good idea if you went to this pub every night for at least one month just to make sure this regulator is functioning properly! Big Grin Roll Eyes

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great pictures Ged!! That looks like a great place to meet with friends, and lift a pint! The clock fits right in! Thanks for the pictures, and I hope your humanitarian deed is graciously rewarded.

Tom

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Checked on clock, it's running well, good job Joyce is away I forgot the time and I didn't leave til closing time. there is a clock in the other bar and the landlord is hinting I should take it home and check it out, but i'm not too keen on getting involved. Other clock