• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info request - Thomas Mercer chronometer "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have recently inherited a Thomas Mercer ship's chronomter. I am trying to find any information that may be out there on this timepiece (date, ship, history etc.). The clock face identifies it as a Thomas Mercer Ltd, St. Albans, England, 19964. It is encased in a wooden box with a glassed lid and works perfectly. A brass tally on the lid says "Supplied by John Lilley & Gillie Ltd., New Quay, North Shields, No. 19964"

Any insights would be welcome.

Posts: 3 | Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada | Registered: January 15, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Nat'l Maritime Museum

There is some information on Thomas Mercer at the above web address.

Mercer Book

A book has been writen about Thomas Mercer and his chronometers, it has a serial number index. Unfortuantely, I don't have a copy.

Be sure to check your chronometer for military markings, such as the Broad Arrow.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Wes

Date is 1952/53
Not listed as sold to HMG
Earlier up to 1943 Lilley appears to have rebranded many Mercer chronos. Later Lilley and Gilley acted as agent, no doubt supplying the ships made on Tyneside.

All adds up! Nice to have!

Check out the books on amazon or abe for further info, much info out there..

Case in three pieces?

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
Hi,

Thanks for all the info so far, I will also try to find the "Mercer Book".

There was a suggestion upon receipt that the chronometer may have belonged to one of the early incarnations of the "Northern Venture", a Great Lakes bulk carrier (the 1952/53 dates somewhat support that). I will continue my investigations.

The case is a wooden box with a single, hinged, glassed lid. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "case in three pieces".

Wes

Posts: 3 | Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada | Registered: January 15, 2008
posted
Wes,

Most chronoemeter boxes were made having three sections, there is usually a top section covering the glass as protection when carrying.
It often happens that when they are taken in to domestic use the top section is removed. Telltale pockets are left behind on the top rear section where the two hinges originally were present.
Good luck with the history search.
Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
Peter,

Thanks. This one must be a two piece variety box. It only has the single lid and I can find no evidence of hinge marks from another protective lid for the glass.

Wes

posted
Many post WW II marine chronometers were put in purpose made two piece boxes. It is the norm for the after war period.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002