• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Mantle Clock Manufacture Date "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am in the process of cleaning a friend's Seth Thomas Mantle Clock with Westminster chimes. The clock works doesn't have a model number but has the following info stamped into the metal:
A400-000

And also Made in West Germany for Seth Thomas Clocks

The label (inside back) has 6103 stamped in ink.
Any idea of when this clock was manufactured?

Posts: 5 | Location: Charleston, West Virginia USA | Registered: June 22, 2007
posted
Karl,
I know this doesn't really help to accurately date your clock, but it must have been between 1945 and 1989. This was the approx. time period when the "Made in West Germany" trademark was used.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Dave, I got other info from a book that said the clock was manufactured in 1931, one year after General Time bought Seth Thomas and the works were made by Hermle of West Germany 6013 = 19(31) June (06)
Thank you for the info.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting topic!

Remember Karl, there was no "West Germany" until after the end of WWII so from that piece of history the marking apparently makes the clock in question a postwar item. Before 1949 there was no place called West Germany to have as a reference on products made there.

See the quote below, Dave's previous assessment lines up with the historical record...

West Germany
(Officially Federal Republic of Germany)

A former country of central Europe bordering on the North Sea. It was part of Germany until 1945, when the country was divided into U.S., French, British, and Soviet zones of occupation. In 1949 the three western zones were reconstituted as West Germany; the Soviet zone became East Germany. West Germany was reunified with East Germany in 1990. (Source Answers.com)

QUESTION: Could that 6013 on the clock be 1960 and a January or March reference?

Sounds like a nice clock, please share some images with us!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Does the clock have a "floating escapement"? If so, the 1960 date would probably be close. I have checked the Orville Hagans compilation of Jesse Coleman articles from Coleman's columns that were publised in "American Horologist and Jeweler" and he has at least two items about the floating balance system, but there's no date of publication on the items. The most extensive article discusses one of the escapements that he got from Smiths Clock & Watches LTD which is/was a British company. He also says that a German firm, Blesch and Hettrich announced a floating balance quite a while back.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Dave, the West Germany item completely escaped me. So I have a date and a manufacturer that don't match. Therefore I know it was after 1945 but before 1952 since the A 400-000 chimes were replaced by the A 401-000 chimes in that year; but the works still have a 1931 date. I think I'll just finish cleaning it and give it back to the owner And John, no it doesn't have a floating escapement. Thanks guys.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I have a feeling you might want to read the posts between your second and third ones.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yes part of the date could be 1960, but the 13 is problematic. Seth Thomas dates are supposed to be read backwards. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

posted
Here is a picture of the clock and works.

Seth Thomas