• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Sentinel #9 & E.N.Welch circa 1886 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just recently purchased two old clocks and plan on adding many more in the years to com. I am new here and also new to the old clocks. But I have always been fascinated with old clocks and only the ones that chime, gong etc. I would appreciate any informative information about these two clocks one could share. The first one is a Seth Thomas Sentinel # 9 with the 89J movement, circa 1928. It has a horizonal tuned bar and am wondering what to expect as a "sound", too. And am curious about the movement. The second clock really fascintes me. Its a E.N. Welch Parlor mantle clock made in 1886. Was wondering if I could expect to see a "patti" movement. And general comments on this make and what to expect. Both clocks are original top to bottom inside out so they say. They should be here next week. I think I got a fair deal on them and were not very expensive. I would appreciate any information one could share. I am adding pictures. Thank You..... Stevan Tiffin

Posts: 65 | Location: Mississippi in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2008
posted
Did not know it would only take one pic. So I will add them:

posted
here is the Seth Thomas

posted
:

posted
Seth Thomas Movement

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The only information I can give is that in the first movement: has what is generally referred to as a "Cathedral Gong". This type of gong has a deep tone rather than the wire type gong which sounds more like a clang. I cant' tell if it strikes the half-hour.

Second movement: Sounds the half-hour on the bell and sounds the hour on the rod. I see that the Seth Thomas also has the three plates, the main wheels being on the third plate.

Both should have a nice sound. Both look as if they've been cleaned. The cases look in great shape.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Thanks Greg, They both strike the half and whole hours.And they both have been cleaned, pivots polished and bushings replaced where needed.The finishes are as original as well as the dials. That much I know. Glad to hear I could expect a deep gong on the first. I love that sound. Did not know the Thomas struck the bell on the half and the hour on the tuned rod. And am interested to know what it means when there's three plates??? Thanks for your comments

Honorary Life Member
Internet Consultant
posted
Hi Stevan,

Both pieces look to be in very good condition, but it's hard to tell from small images.

The Seth Thomas is a work horse. You can expect several years of reliable time keeping if it's been recently and properly serviced. As far as the sound is concerned, it will be much better than a wire coil gong, but don't expect church bells. Like Greg, I can't say if it strikes on the half hour. I can say pretty safely that when it does strike, you will smile.

The dial is in much better shape than usual. People use their index fingers to move the hands, and over time they wipe the finish off in arcs on the dial. From the picture it looks like past owners were careful. I suggest that you use a cotton swab when adjusting the time if you want to maintain that level of care.

The third plate is of no interest to the owner, but is a bonus for the repairman. Both springs can be let down into clamps, removed, and the rest of the movement is intact. That's my opinion. Some people hate three plate movements. I like them. I get a good long last look at the condition of the rest of the movement before I put the power back on.

The Welch looks great, but again it's hard to tell from small images. I'd say that it's had long service, judging from all the beat adjustments. See how kinky the wire is? The clock was moved several times.

Speaking of that, don't despair if either clock doesn't run right away. You might just need to set the beat. I've turned on email notifications for this thread. Post here again if you need instructions.

Congratulations! You have more than one antique clock. You are a collector Smile

Best,
Tom

Posts: 41 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hello,
The Seth Thomas is here. Beautiful clock. Deep red ribbon Mahogany case with that antique alligator look. My wife polished it up with Antiquax brown wax. Really brought out the natural color. Looks as good or better than described. The movement is clean as a whistle. I inserted the key into the left hole and slowly and carefully wound it up but not too much. I don't know how much is too much. I tried the hole on the right but it seemed to be wound up as far as it would go. I unlocked it, set the time,hung the pendulum on, gave it a swing and it kept perfect time with two watches, gonging on the half hour, (beautiful low mellow tone), and gonged on the hour the number of hours. I have turned all sound in the house off and sit and listen to it "tick tock" and gong. Well, two days later, I woke up, (this morning) and noticed it had stopped at 11:10pm last night. Became a bit dissaponted, gave it some thought and an instinst sent me to the right hole with the key. This time I slowly and carefully wound it counter clock wise and BEHOLD! It wound up! Did not know the right side wound to the left and the left side wounds to the right. well, I gave the pendulum a swing and its working just fine again. I think this clock and me well become good friends. The gong reminds me of a bell somewhere out at sea in a light fog on a dead calm night. Kinda, an erie sound. I don't think I will mess with much, it seems to want to be left along and do its work. Hopefully 24/7 365 days a year for another 80 years. I appreciate the offer to help out should I encounter a problem and can assure one that I will need help if a problem emerges that I can't handle. The E.N. Welch will be here Friday of this week. He is 122 years old, so they say. Hope he works as well as this one and am wondering how the two will get along. I been thinking one should run either slower or faster than the other. I suppose everybody kinda spaces out the time when one aquires several. Right now I leaning more to the older man running slower.....Stevan Tiffin