Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clock Kit "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
A neighbor's 12 year old boy has expressed an interest in making a clock. He doesn't have any real skills so I'm looking for something that would have all the parts already done and if wood, he can sand to finish. Clear instructions would be essential. If anyone can recommend a kit like this please let me know. You never know what will inspire someone to take up a career.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Roger. Great idea, years ago I had one ,so they are available. Lots of Luck. Gord

Posts: 19 | Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 16, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Roger go too youtube and check wood clocks there is a guy on there that sells plans for a clock made out of wood ,it,s a good size wall clock..I f you have trouble finding it i will get you the email address.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
or try klockit.com

klockit.com link

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the help guys, but I can't seem to find what I want. Most have battery movements that you put into a case that you finish...not what I want. Others have plans or kits that you have to cut all wheels and gears. Too complicated for a 12 year old. I'm looking for something that has all the wheels and gears cut out with maybe just some finish sanding left and he can assembly this using detailed instructions into a working clock. I want it to be simple enough that he will actually finish it, but hard enough that he will be proud of it. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
No, Roger, your not asking to much, If I could intersperse here.
Come-on you Watchmakers let's get together on this and help this kid.
Someone has to have and old clock in a wood frame that they could donate. I will donate tools I have that are doubles or the ones I don't use. I am good on a computer so I would also help put the instructions & photos together. Sandpaper & stain would come come the parents.
Some day this kid might sell you the part you need for that old Bunn Special you just acquired. Any Takers?
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Patrick,

Thank you very much! I think you have given me another idea that may work even better. Originally I was thinking of a wood clock, but there are plenty of simple time only brass movements in wood cases out there that are big enough for someone without really nimble fingers to work on. I have some leads on acquiring such a clock and hopefully at sometime down the road I'll be able to post some pictures of his first clock teardown and cleaning. The only thing I won't let him do is a mainspring in a barrel, so I'll do that part with him learning how it is done safely.

I really appreciate your offer on tools and such, but let's see if he truly takes an interest. And you are so right...he might someday be the person that has or can make the part you need.

Roger

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
OK Roger GO FOR IT.....

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank your Roger for wanting to mentor this young man. You never know how you may influence someone by your actions. Hope all works out fine!

Smile

Posts: 5221 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002