Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Baby Ben 110 volt and wind up? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I recently saw an early (1930s - 1940s era) Westclox Baby Ben that had a 110 volt time movement, but it also had to be wound for the alarm. Are these rare? I didn't look at it too close, but I think it had the little red window on the dial for when the power goes off to let you know it needs to be reset. I can't remember for sure, but I think the model number was 3C. I think the base was rounded, and the clock sat straight up, not tilted (if I am remembering correctly).

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
You have impeccable timing. I just picked up a couple of books on Westclox at the Southern Ohio Regional in Ft. Mitchell, KY.

I have only been back a couple of hours and a quick look through the book came up with this info. See if it matches what you have. It says the spring is only for demo reasons or until the clock has run enough to become fully wound.

Look at the Sangamo Synchonous movement...

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Some of the clocks. The lower half of the top half of the page shown above. The pictures are from WESTCLOX Electric by Jim Linz.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks Tom,
Now I'm going to have to go look at it again. That same shop did have one of the Big Ben electrics last year. The one they have now is a Baby Ben, and it looks the same style as the Big Ben in that picture. I don't remember it having a second hand. I am pretty sure it had a bell emblem by the winder, so I just figured it only wound the bell.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002