Tools
Reply to Post

Information 400 day german clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi,
I normally deal with pocket watches only but have came across this clock and would like some help with what is it, when, and its value, if anyone takes a shine to it make me a offer, either here or on abell2292@msn.com. the information I can find is on the face, SCHATZ, 400, Made in Germany, on the movement rear brass plate it has AUG SCHATZ & SOHME, Made in Germany and in the circle the number 53, there is also stamped RR, then No 56, if that means anything. I unlocked it and it ran for quite sometime then stopped I have not leveled it of or anything so don’t know much about it other than it seems to work.
Thanks
Chris

Chris Abell

Face

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
side

Chris Abell

side

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Chris,
I am no expert in dating these clocks. I have repaired quite a few. Many came back from Germany with the soldiers stationed there. They have been made continuouly for at least 50 yars. Many of the newer ones are battery operated.

Price is tricky. They are fairly common and many people have trouble keeping them running because they don't understand the sensitive nature of the clock.

Hope this helps a bit. Maybe someone who knows individual models can do a better job dating the clock.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I went to the regional at Lexington, KY over the past weekend and saw a few round base anniversaries there; all were marked $25-40 as I recall.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 56
Picture of Victor Tang
posted
Hi Chris,

Your clock is a Schatz London Coach. They made two coach case models, namely London and Bermuda. The letters RR refer to Remington Rand and their Electric Shaver Division was the exclusive factory representative for Schatz from about 1950 – 1958. The digits 56 represents the year of manufacture. On some backplates, the month of manufacture is shown by either a single or two digits in front of the year digits. The 53 enclosed in a circle with the words AUG SCHATZ & SOHNE GERMANY denotes that this is a Schatz 1953 model movement.

The clock is fairly common and listings on eBay ranges from $9.99 to about $100+ depending on condition.

Vic
NAWCC Life Member 205-117905
Member Chapter 168
IHC Member 56
IHC Life Member (L2)

Posts: 29 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks you for all your responses, you seemed to have covered it well and given the value of it will "have a go and getting it running", I may ask if a few days if anyone is needing spare parts!!!.
Razz Razz

Chris Abell