Internet Horology Club 185
American Tavern Clock(?)

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/738000307

February 16, 2004, 22:41
Douglas Barr
American Tavern Clock(?)
Was in Quebec City last fall and stopped at a antique store when I noticed a small tavern or public clock that I thought was English. Price was right, case was in need of restoration so in the car trunk it went wrapped in a old blanket.About a month latter I was over at Gilhams Antique Restorations about some other items being restored ans suddenly remembered the clock in the boot.Typical of the clock I attract it was even more ditry and grundge ,needed a good going over for patching and stick shellac fo the knicks.Suddden shock when I pulled the dial and a small banjo type movement appeared. Pend length is 6 inches less then a normal banjo.Does anyone know the maker of this type of clock? Dial is 13 inches. Thanks Doug

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

clock

February 16, 2004, 22:43
Douglas Barr
movement

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

movement

February 16, 2004, 23:54
Tom Seymour
Doug,

I have not found the exact case that you show. I did find one with somewhat similar lines that is a Willard. The picture below is from the book "Simon Willard and His Clocks" by Husher and Welch.

Many of the Connecticut clockmakers used a similar style, however, one detail I noticed is the smooth trapezoid around the center arbor. Many used this style, yet most had a bulge where the pendulum shaft exits the trapezoid. This one matches the one in your picture.

This movement is from a Simon Willard banjo. Probably somewhere around 1830.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

February 17, 2004, 20:43
Douglas Barr
Thanks Tom, D.Barr

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313