Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

American Tavern Clock(?) "Click" to Login or Register 
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Was in Quebec City last fall and stopped at a antique store when I noticed a small tavern or public clock that I thought was English. Price was right, case was in need of restoration so in the car trunk it went wrapped in a old blanket.About a month latter I was over at Gilhams Antique Restorations about some other items being restored ans suddenly remembered the clock in the boot.Typical of the clock I attract it was even more ditry and grundge ,needed a good going over for patching and stick shellac fo the knicks.Suddden shock when I pulled the dial and a small banjo type movement appeared. Pend length is 6 inches less then a normal banjo.Does anyone know the maker of this type of clock? Dial is 13 inches. Thanks Doug

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

clock

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
movement

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

movement

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Doug,

I have not found the exact case that you show. I did find one with somewhat similar lines that is a Willard. The picture below is from the book "Simon Willard and His Clocks" by Husher and Welch.

Many of the Connecticut clockmakers used a similar style, however, one detail I noticed is the smooth trapezoid around the center arbor. Many used this style, yet most had a bulge where the pendulum shaft exits the trapezoid. This one matches the one in your picture.

This movement is from a Simon Willard banjo. Probably somewhere around 1830.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Thanks Tom, D.Barr

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313