Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Put a chain back on center wheel of a Hershede? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Chain has fallen off center wheel...is there any way to re string it without taking the whole movement apart?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
If you have the clock out of the case, I'll bet you can do it. I would tie off the other chains so they can't do the same thing.
You might be cross-eyed by the time you get it, done trying to focus on what your trying to do tho.
I have done it using a set of dentist tools with all the hooks and so forth.
Its frustrating. Good luck.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1338
posted
I got it Bill!

Tied a foot of fishin line to end then dropped it down past the wheel from top then baqckwound the wheel and the chain stayed right on the wheel!

Now I need a rod for one weight it's a grandmother 4 1/2 lb weight someone broke off the rod flush at the hook end

How do you remove the rod out of the weight?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Tom,How about a picture of the weight.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Member 1338
posted
Norm;

Like these

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I thought the bottoms had a nut and the top hook was a rod that screwed into the bottom or vise a versa somehow. As you can tell I have never had the experience of doing this. Why do you need to do anything with the weights?
Glad you got the chain problem fixed!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Tom,The rods are threaded on both ends and the the hook and the little round nut on the other end should unscrew.Check ebay for clock parts.If all else fails I think Hershede is still in business.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Tom,I just checked Timesavers on line catalog.They sell weight rods.Just Google Timesavers and search for weight rods.I bought a lot of parts from them when I was working on clocks.They have just about any thing for clock repair.Norm

IHC Member 1338
posted
Norm;

Yes Timesavers has all the parts. The weight would run 26, and the rod and both end nuts incl one with hook another 5-10 or so....my problem was the rod was broke off flush on the hook end of the weight and would have taken a lot of work to drill the rod out and replace it. Luckily I had the broken end of the rod with the threads on them. I took it to a welder and he tig welded the rod back on the weight, I put the brass cover and caps on and there was just enough room to screw the hook on! Hung the weight and it chimed! I am 100% working! It's going in the entrance room. Just have to get a wood filler pencil to touch up the few marks and it's ready.

One more question: Is there any way to polish up the weights? The ones in the picture above aren't mine, mine are pretty dull. Timesavers sells the caps and weight covers but it'd run 3X $15 plus ship to do all three.

I'll post a pic of the clock here in a few days

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Tom,Go buy a can of "Brasso' or "Mothers" chrome polish.Either one will work wonders.When you get your clock done,post some pictures.I collected clocks for a long time,had 140 or so at one time.That got me into pocket watches and the rest is history.Regards.Norm

IHC Member 1338
posted
Well, polished it up as good as it gets...useed some dark walnut stain to cover up a couple scratches...here she is...

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Tom,If you'll send me the weight shells,I'll polish them for you.No Charge.The clock is real nice and deserves shiny weights showing through the glass.Regards.Norm

IHC Member 1338
posted
Norm; I appreciate that, I tried with Mothers and not much luck. They're also stained a little. We're about to go back to IL in a couple wks, but when we get back I'll take you up on that. It is a nice clock and does desreve better weights. The ole girl is timing pretty good as well! Thanks

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com