Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chelsea clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
As this is my first post to the "clock side" of the chapter, I will try to get it right the first time. I have for you learned guys, a Chelsea clock that was given to me to look at, and possibly set right. The pictures I post will answer most of your questions, I hope. Anything about it that you guys could tell me would be appreciated. A cursory examination has indicated, either a broken pivot on the balance ,or a broken jewel in the pillar plate, hopefully not both. Are there parts available for these clocks.

The case is very heavy brass, painted black. Any ideas what this was mounted on.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Pic. #2

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Pic. #3

posted
Pic. #4

posted
Hello Frank,

I can not help you with repair questions, but Chelsea made small clocks like these for mounting on dashboards of cars, boats, airplanes. Early cars, boats, etc. did not have the electric capacity like today, so mechanical clocks were purchased. It appears Chelsea made the movement and possibly cased it and sold it to the company in WI.

Waltham made Chelsea's escapements for many years up through WWII, so a Waltham balance staff might work (size 16 watch ??).

Obtaining parts from Chelsea will probably be difficult; they had a fire in late 1970's and it severely damaged their parts warehouse.

Leonard Taube (Clock Medic) (Needham, MA) - is excellent one for repairing Chelseas, because he was their main repair person for 25 years before leaving to work on his own.

Hope it helps.... Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
posted
Hi Andy
Thanks for the comeback. The clock is not mine,so I have not gone any further on dis-assembly. But thanks for the tip about Waltham making their escapments. I was not sure if I should post here,or in the Clock Repair forum.

Frank

posted
Hi Frank,

You might want to post question/request in both
Clock Repair & Pocket Watch Boards.

The Chelsea's movement are really heavy duty pocket watch movement....Andy

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
posted
Hi Andy
Thanks for the advice on posting the clock on the other forum,I think I'll do that.

As for being heavy duty,I think that if that clock where run over by a truck, it would't bother it. It has a very heavy brass case.`

Frank

posted
Just a follow-up on this thread.

Thanks Andy, for giving me Leonard Taube's name. I was able to email him, and he was gracious enough to supply me with the information that I needed on the movement.

Chelsea did use Waltham balances in these early clocks, and that the staffs are out of an 18s movement. When I finish taking the measurements of the old one, I should be able to match it to one of the Waltham numbers. He even supplied me with the Chelsea part number, and a phone number to call.

Frank

posted
Well, good news. I was able to get the measurements of the old staff,and take them to a supply house near me. After much searching,and measuring,they found me one that would work. The only thing I had to do was take down the diameter of the roller table seat a fraction,so that the roller would fit.Got it cleaned-up,and oiled. Keeping very good time.

Frank