Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing part of wooden clock case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello:

I have just received an empty clock case that I won on eBay. It is a gingerbread kitchen clock case that I bought for the wooden side pieces. Now--how do I go about removing those pieces without damaging them? The bottom of the pieces seem to loosen from the base but the sides of the pieces seem firmly attached.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Pattye,
Sometimes I have used a jeweler's saw between at the glue joint to separate pieces. This does not always work as the saw frame sometimes interferes.
Best luck
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Pattye, look for signs of nails going from the inside body of the case into the side pieces. Most times you can 'pry' them apart being careful not to mar the wood.
Mike
aka 'clock whisperer'

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Mike and Dick,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I didn't have the saw on hand but did manage to pry out the interior tacks with no damage. I really appreciate your responses.
This message board continues to be a great source of support and communication. Thanks to all who are so helpful!
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Pattye,

An old restorers trick is to use warm vinegar and water to loosen the hide glue. Unfortunately the water will raise the grain and sanding is required. Sometimes just heat will do the trick. Cook the basic case in the oven at the lowest setting, checking often to see if the pieces have come loose. Then get it out quick before the wood dries out too much.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
Thanks Bruce
Those are also good ideas to put in my bag of tricks.
Pattye

posted
If you are lucky, and they used hide glue, heat will release it. Just heat it with a blow dryer and it should release.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003