Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas #2 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hello Gentlemen,
I have been looking for a #2 for a while and ran across this one in super nice condition. I couldn't pass it up because it might be a while before I would find another one this nice. It has a mahogany finish, early 1920's, 77a trapezoid movement. Hope you like it!!

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted

IHC Member 1725
posted

IHC Member 1725
posted

IHC Member 1725
posted

IHC Member 1725
posted

IHC Member 1725
posted
Any comments good or bad are welcome, Thanks for looking!!
Best Regards,
Tim

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Beautiful Tim,
I've been looking for one for the past three months.!!!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
very.very nice !!!! Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice clock Tim, the #2 is my favourite clock.

I have an oak 1905 with the 3 tier bottom on the case.

I have heard yours referred to as the "slick tail" (single bottom) case.

I am not sure which label is right for yours but if you would like a repro label from a 1905 just shoot me an email with your address and I will send you one..

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1725
posted
Thanks Dave, Tom and Lorne for looking and the nice comments!!

Best Regards,
Tim

IHC Member 1725
posted
After speaking to Lindell I'd like to thank him for his help in determining the correct label for my clock. I found this label at Time Savers.

IHC Member 1725
posted
Closer view.

IHC Member 1725
posted
3/16 inch beveled plexiglass placed over to protect the label, thanks to Lorne for his help.

IHC Member 1725
posted
Picture of bottom view, another tool to help date the clock.

IHC Member 1725
posted
# 2

IHC Member 1725
posted
I hope this helps someone for future references. I think this was a nice finishing touch to the clock which it deserved.
A very special thanks to my wife for gluing down the label--I think she would have made Seth Thomas a great employee!!

Hope You Like,
Tim

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
as I said before in other words,what a BEAUTY she is Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Received the labels. Thank You

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1725
posted
Glad to have helped.

THANKS Tom.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Finally found a Seth #2 - It wasn't my first choice but couldn't pass on it for the price.
Biggest problem is some missing veneer on the bow tie, and a little down below.
I'm studying on how to repair that now. I'm satisfied enough with the original finish to leave it alone. I think it dates to around 1900 plus or minus a couple of years.
Wonder where the Glen Levea Presbyterian Church was/is? Owner said he bought it from two old ladies who said it came from Indiana.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
now that's a beauty too Big Grin Wink a very fine find!!!! In my basement somewhere I have 75 year old oak veneer. If you need some let me know !! This is my Birks-Ryrie Seth #2 and the pendulum beat is from 1/2" from the end of the beat indicator to 1/2" from the other end so it has a strong dramatic swing Wink

found the veneer-a pic attached a bit dark of the veneer in a large pizza box

C1885 SETH THOMAS #2 REGULATOR WALL CLOCK - Craigslist
charlotte.craigslist.org › ... › all for sale / wanted › antiques - by owner
Feb 27, 2014 - The original tin face was painted for the Glen Levea Presbyterian Church. The label shows some wear, but the Seth Thomas name is clearly ...

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
my first Seth Thomas #2 ,the Joyce Jewelers Portsmouth Ohio Waverly depot clock

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Dave , I strongly suspect that in spite of the spelling this is the original source of the Glen Levea clock Big Grin

http://www.glenleven.org/

GLEN LEVEN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
A Loving Community called together by God to be a People of Faith, Prayer, Nurture, and Outreach
3906 Franklin Pike, Nashville, TN 37204
Telephone Number: (615) 298-5549
Fax Number: (615) 298-5540

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
My second Seth Regulator #2,this is my Ryrie-Birks Seth #2 Regulator with nickel plated sash,nickel weight and damascened nickel pendulum bob and the pendulum beat is from 1/2" from the end of the beat indicator to 1/2" from the other end so it has a strong dramatic swing. The seconds hand is missing and I'm looking for an original to go on it Wink

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
News article on my Portsmouth jeweler Waverly Depot Seth #2

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Tom, Now that's a pair of beautiful clocks!

I appreciate your generous offer on the veneer. Not sure where I'd ever find anything to blend in from new stock. I'll email you my address.
Interesting difference on the swing of the pendulum, my clock has probably a maximum 1/2" swing, and if the hands are not adjusted exactly the second hand catches on the hour or minute hand and stops. And none of the hands are snug on the posts.
Hopefully, after cleaning and service I can eliminate some of this.
Not sure what will affect the pendulum swing yet.

I found the site you refer to on the Glen Leven Church, and found no reference on Glen Levea. Maybe over the years of doctoring the dial the n was changed to an a.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Canadian Resident winds up with local timepiece:

http://www.pikecountydaily.com...67-48e5c1f81e4c.html

Interesting article!

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Just wound up the Grandfather clock and notice that the cables are much lighter and thinner than the cable on the #2 Seth. And the Grandfather clock weights are much heavier. Now I'm thinking the Seth might have too heavy a cable on it and might be suspect in the performance.
Should the cable be stranded brass or nylon?

Any thoughts on this?

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
mine are gut,though many people are upgrading to braided brass wire.Over the years I have also successfully used braided nylon fly fishing line Big Grin

IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Dave,
Glad to see you found you a clock. It is a Beautiful clock and I know you will not stop until you get it perfect. I have read somewhere about playing around with the anchor depth on the verge and that will effect the swing of the pendulum, but on the other hand I don't know how to go about doing it. I did some research on Google and found the same thing that Tom found. Mine swings from II to II. Enjoy your clock!!

Best regards,
Tim

IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Tom,
You have two beautiful and interesting clocks, thanks for posting them!! It is hard to stop looking at them, I get a lot of pleasure from these clocks and any other time pieces. That was a really neat newspaper article about your clocks.
My weight is hung by a brass braided cable. Take care of those beauties and stay warm up there.

Best regards,
Tim