Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seeking Ingraham information "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is copied from an email I received:

quote:
It is a shelf or mantel clock and on the inside back door is an original sticker stating how to operate it. It is listed at the top Duplex 1871 It is made by the E. Ingraham Co. Bristol Conn. I am attaching some pictures. It is not in good shape and looks as if the case was refinished and the clock face has a lot of fading on it. It currently doesnt seem to work even though i have wound it. I would love to know more about it and if i could get it fixed.
It was my grandfathers that his mother gave to my grandmother. It has been around as long as i can remember(i am 34). I used to love going there and the sound of the clock ticking and the chime always made me feel comfortable and i just loved to hear it. My Grandfather passed away 2 yrs ago and it is very special to me.
The only other thing on the inside back cover is a hand written number that i have no idea what it might mean, it is :129872) 3-.
Thank you in advance for any info you can give me on its origins(if it was really made in 1871) and how i might get it fixed and properly restored as best to original condition.
Sherri Grandidier
P.S. I am in NW Arkansas in Rogers U.S.. Please feel free to foward this to anyone else you think might offer other info.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
second picture

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
third picture

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
fourth picture

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sherri,
your clock is called a "Tambour" style clock. It has other names such as camel back and hump back that are often used. It is a style introduced in the 1920s and remains popular today.

I am not sure about the "1871" on the label. It could be a stock or line number.

Your clock seems to match the one shown below. The image is from Tran DuLy's book on Ingraham clocks and is shown with his permission.

It is great to have a clock that has been in the family that long. If it were mine, I would get it restored and running. In my opinion, I would not strip the clock. There are ways to bring back the finish without stripping. The movement will need to be cleaned and overhauled. Ask around about the quality of work a person does before taking it in to be repaired.

Tom