Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Kingston Electric Clock Motor "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello again,

Time for another repair topic.

A fellow just brought me a broken electric motor to replace (if I can find one). It goes to a ball bearing clock (he did not bring the clock). The clock is described as having an arm that picks up ball bearings and deposits them on a series of ramps at the top of the clock. The balls then run down the ramps into numbered slots that you read for the time.

The problem is that one of the plastic gears inside the motor is nissing two teeth. A previous repairman tried to epoxy fill the space and refile teeth, but the epoxy would not adhere to the plastic (nylon or polyethylene).

Here's the data stamped on the motor.

"Kingston 1 RPM R 60 HZ"
(I assume the "R" means right)
"MOD 60-1 120 VAC 3 watts"
Rubber stamped on the side is "052"
Inside on the center plate separating the motor from the reduction gearing is stamped "1R60".

The motor is about 1-7/8" diameter and has a 1/4" dia "D" shaft projecting about 1/2" off center.

Any help in finding another suitable replacement is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce Weeks

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
posted
TimeSavers used to have parts for these 'rolling ball' clocks. Try www.timesavers.com for their web site. I'm getting this information from their catalog #23 which is a few years old. Lots of noise when the balls dump at 12:00.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Thanks John,

I checked their new catalog online and see that they have printed instructions for the clock, but say material is no longer available. I sent their info e-mail address a query and hope they come up with something.

<Mort Denison>
posted
Hi Bruce,

I just joined this group & I have a 'close' relationship with rolling ball clocks. The one you described sounds like a Mayenschein wooden clock, the precursor to the plastic Arrow ones described earlier. Timesavers had motors for the Arrow clocks. If you are still in need of the Kingston motor, I can offer some hints or alternatives.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Mort,
Welcome to IHC. Lot's of good friendly people here. I am glad you are not shy of posting. Your comments are most welcome and appreciated!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
<Mort Denison>
posted
Thanks, Tom. Glad to share what little I know. I'm also up for begging a case kit for a Kieninger 9 bell movement. I've got a pretty active friend who used to be able to build clock cases, but he just turned 92 last week and claims he just can't do it anymore. He got a speeding ticket a few days ago, and the policeman gave him an $80 discount because of his age and lack of tickets for 60+ years.

posted
Thanks Mort for your interest. That customer went away some time ago since I could not help him at that time. But I do appreciate your willingness to help. I'll keep you in mind if I ever come across another one!

Thanks again.