Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas 44G "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 703
posted
Seeking information as to what year range the 44G Seth Thomas was produced.

Thank you,
Steve

IHC Member 703

Posts: 41 | Location: Garden City, Missouri USA | Registered: February 21, 2006
IHC Member 703
posted
A BIG Project!!

IHC Member 703

IHC Member 703
posted
O Boy!!

IHC Member 703

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Steve,
Some Seth Thomas clocks have a date code, the year written backwards plus a letter for the month. Not sure what they put this on and what years. I figured out the date on one Adamantine clock this way, but another I have isn't dated. If you see 6981B for example, it was made in 1896, maybe February (but I'm not sure they started at A for January). It might be hard to see, and you have to look at the light just right to see it sometimes.

I think they made this type of clock from the 1880s to 1920s but that doesn't narrow it down very much.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The 44G movement was described in the 1907 catalog.
It looks very much like one shown in Tran's book dated 1889. Similar ones are shown from the 20s. The larger visible hinge on the bezel is shown on one from the 20s, but the configuration of the lower door is more from the 1880s.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 703
posted
Thanks Andy and Tom for the info. I have looked all over the works with a loupe and cannot find any numbers or letters. The back of the case has what appeares to be 1911. I say appears because the 9 also looks like a 8. Eek 1911 would sure put it in the date range you both suggested. My wife and I picked this up last week at the St.Louis regional as a project. She is working on the case, while i'm playing with the works and metal parts. I am mostly a watch guy, but I can see this project may be the begining of expanding my hobby. Roll Eyes
Thanks again,
Steve

IHC Member 703

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve,
I'm glad you found the information useful. You must also find it refreshing to work with parts you can see!! Roll Eyes Wink Big Grin

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002