• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Solder for hinge? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please help me choose the proper (and easy to use)
solder to attach a brass hinge to a brass bezel.
Thanks a lot!
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Here is my two cents:

I use J.W. Harris Stay-Brite. (you can buy a kit)
This solder is liquidus @ 430F and solidus @ 430F
The flux comes with the kit.
I would suggest cleaning as well as you can, get any varnish or paint off of the part. Clampp the two parts together and keep the joint tight. You may have to "re-work" a little if the bezel or hinge has been bent. Get a good fit before you start.
Plug in the solder iron and heat it up. Put just a drop of flux on the part to be joined.( it is a liquid)Put the iron tip on the hinge and let the heat transfer. You will see the flux heat up. Touch the solder to the iron tip. When the temp is right the solder will go liquid. Keep the iron on and the touch the joint. When it is right the solder will flow. Work your way around the hinge and do not over do it. Too much solder will get in the way of the bezel properly closing. Clean off with a damp cloth. (This will get rid of the flux residue.
I work for a welding company and this is the best stuff that I have found to use. You can purchase from the supply houses as well. I believe Merit's has it listed.
You may want to "play with it" to get the feel for the temp required.

Good luck

Posts: 126 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
posted
Thanks, Bob, that is a great description. We will try it.
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004