• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Street Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A while back there was a thread concerning street clocks. I just received a catalog from Harbor Freight ( http://harborfreight.com ) that has a street clock listed. From the limited description it seems to be a fairly good value as compared to others on the market. I have posted a picture for anyone interested. Also, here is a site that shows several, original street clocks.

http://www.greatstreets.org/StreetClocks/StreetClocksIndex.html

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks Joe,
I've been looking for one of these, if I can figure out where to put it. Here is one I found, 9" tall. Verdin sold these as fund raisers to install the real full size ones. I got this from a Verdin salesman. It has 4 working clocks.

Andy

Verdin miniature

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
The head of the Harbor Freight one looks very similar to my Howard Miller, but the post and bottom are much lighter. Here's mine. It now has my "Clock Repair" sign on it (not shown in this older picture).

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
"J"...Is your "sign" painted on the dial and does it light-up?

A lot better looking than my sign.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
It is added onto the side of the main post just below the head with a plant hanger bracket. It is about the size of a "No Parking" sign turned sideways. As sson as I get my new digital camera I'll post a new shot. I need to update my website anyways.

posted
Joe,
I was concerned what the freight charge would be on the clock. Today I found it is $9.99 on any order over $100.00.
I ordered one.
I will let you know what it is like when it gets here.
Dick

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Let us know how you like it, and post pictures. I have wanted to get a real one, but they are a very large scale (plus I have never seen one for sale). I heard there was one at a local flea market years ago that was on Main Street here in my town, and I wonder where that one ever went. There are also a few in the area that are marked as being made locally, and I have never found out anything about the maker (1970s I am guessing). I have a picture of 2 of those in another message in here on "Public Clocks", and I found another one a few weeks ago. These are at least 10 foot tall, maybe 12 or more.

Here is one that is marked made in Evansville, IN.

Andy

posted
Greg - Here's a picture of my clock with the sign. The dial does not light up. It is a Herman Miller primarily design for inside use, but says, "it can be used in MOST outdoor locations" (define most?).

Andy - Mine has been working OK this winter so far though it uses up "AA" batteries twice a year.(Yeah, it has two quartz movements). You can see the simple sign. We have residential business limitations and signage is to be kept unobtrusive (meaning under 2 SF) and non-illuminated.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is a site that sells the larger commercial ones. Look at the bottom of the page on the first link. The "Newburg" (11' 8" tall) with 2 lighted dials is $5040 and the Tupelo (15' 8" tall) with 4 lighted dials is $16,954. They are made of aluminum.
http://www.tapconet.com/banner_streetscape.html

Another site that sells variations of the same clocks, no prices shown.
http://www.victorianmarketplace.com/clocks.html

Here are some that are more reasonably priced, but the size is not mentioned.
http://www.fancystreetlight.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm...x&GnavID=4&SnavID=10

Photo gallery from that site.
http://www.fancystreetlight.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm...ex&GnavID=3&SnavID=3

Another site with a large selection.
http://www.electrictime.com/products.asp?cid=1&pid=1

Andy

posted
Yesterday the Harbour Freight clock arrived. I am satisfied and impressed. The two base pieces are cast iron, the post is fluted tubing. The clock "head" is sheet metal and has cast iron trimmings. The clocks set externally with a key and the battery compartments are in the outer rim of the clock head. The compass affair is cast iron. I will have to make some modifications to the base to be able to bolt it down, but that is not a big deal. (I'll have to drill some holes for the bolts)
The box weighed 45 lb. and shipping was $9.99 as they promised.
When I get the clock mounted, I will send some good pictures.
Best Regards,
Dick

posted
Just a note to say that the clock is currently on sale at $139.99 if anyone is still interested. That is quite a markdown.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Well procrastinating does pay off afterall. Joe, you didn't have a coupon I could have used too????? Big Grin

Search on their site for "watch", you'd be surprised at how many watch tools and even mechanical Russian wrist and pocket watches they have.

Andy

posted
Wow! External setting AND outside battery compartment? That beats the HM version. You have to open the face on one side to do either of those changes. Face is hinged from the bottom and takes three 3mm socket head screws to open it. What a nuisance twice a year.

On the down side too, I have one of the movements losing time after 4 or 5 months of battery life. Just BEFORE the DST change. Gonna hafta call HM for a new movement.

posted
I promised that I would post some pictures of the Harbour Freight Street Clock when I got it mounted. They follow. I would have only one criticism. The clock sways a bit more than I would like in the wind. I feel this is because the post is of smaller diameter. I plan to someday replace the existing post with a larger diameter piece of pipe.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

posted
The clock facing West.

posted
The base is anchored to the concrete walk. I drilled holes in the concrete, installed anchors to fit 5/16" bolt thread,(The anchors are set in epoxy). I had to drill through the cast iron base to fit the mounting studs.

posted
Hi Dick,
Just wondering how the clock was handling your winter weather? Did you leave it up or take it in for the season?

Joe

posted
Hey Joe,
The clock seems to be doing just fine. It has been out in the weather since I put it up. I have changed batteries once. Mine is kind of sheltered from the wind, and is bolted to the concrete walk. I think one of my movements has gone bad. Timesavers has a suitable replacement.
I noticed that the price had gone down in a recent flyer.
I sure get a lot of positive comments on the clock from visitors.
We have had snow on the ground since the week before Christmas, which is unusual for this area. It has been especially cold since then. Everyone is ready for the sun to come out and melt the snow.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman