Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Laquer removal from 40 day clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the laquer from the old 400 day brass clocks? I am particularly concerned about any mechanical (buffing) technique on brass plated steel bases. Thanks.

Jim Fischer

Posts: 17 | Location: Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: November 03, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Jim,

There are a number of different finish removers available in hardware store paint departments, checking the packages and instructions may provide some direction. Personally I use plain old lacquer thinner, but it is expensive and becoming increasingly difficult to find. I definitely agree with you on wanting to use a chemical for removal rather than an abrasive. By the way, to avoid fumes I wait for a nice day and do that kind of work outdoors.

Let's see what others suggest.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Up here in chapter 6, most of the guys use oven cleaner, the kind that isn't heated.

Posts: 45 | Location: Warren, Michigan in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I can tell you that after you get the old laquer off, use some simichrome to clean the brass back to a beautiful shine. As suggested by Lindell, I then used Testors Clear Gloss spray to preserve the shine.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008