Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Czech Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Thought people who don't visit the "Green Board might be interested in seeing this. It's a customers...not mine Frown

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A great looking clock. I would like to know more about this one. Do the figures on the dial move? Does it have a music box in the base? What of the glassed in area at the top?

Thanks,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
No, nothing moves except for the pendulum. There is something missing from the top as well as a few mother of pearl flowers which dot the top two sections.

In the glass case are dried flowers/plants. The dial is silvered and hand painted. The columns are hollow alabaster...all other parts are wood and either painted black or gild. The pendulum is simply flat brass sheet metal and then painted. The pendulum attaches to a string instead of a suspension spring. I don't know if this is correct or not.

In the bottom section behind the painted panel is a music box...The "song" is not recognizable to me, however, it does remind me of a waltz. The key to wind the music is in the lower right hand corner. There is also a lever which comes through the top of the panel that turns the music on or off.

I don't know the exact date of the clock, however, there is an inscription on the back panel of the music box dated April 21, 1868. I am assuming that this is by an owner or repairman.

The movement looks most like a vienna. I haven't had it apart yet to see the entire mechanism. It does strike on a seperate gong x1 on the quarter hour, X2 on the half, etc., and then strikes on a second gong the hour. It looks as if it might be a repeater, but as I say...I haven't had it apart yet. Hopefully will get to it later this week.

greg

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks Greg.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg

No pictures so I can't be sure but if the top of the pendulum is a hook and its hanging on a thread loop then this is probably original.

Typically called a silk suspension. Also sounds about right for the date you quote. I have a silk suspesion in a vienna circa 1820.

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I've got the movement apart now. The suspension is correct...a silk thread. It's also a repeater...I wasn't sure until I removed the movement. I've not worked on a movement like this before...there are so many differences, for ex. the mainspring barrels and verge(pallets). I'll provide photos when clean.

greg

posted
Greg

Yep very different. I bet the barrels are fixed to the plate - so not so easy to let down.

And the plates are generally quite close together so there is little room to manipulate the very fine pivots into their pivot holes.

The pivots are usually glass hard as well so you need to take extra care. And usually the movements are very well made. I think these are very nice clocks.

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The pivots are usually glass hard as well so you need to take extra care.

Yep! Somehow bent the pivot on one of the fans, but was able to restore it. It's up and running now.

The date inscribed on the back door for the music box, seems to be possible when the music box was replaced, as the clock seems to be no later than 1850.

I've been corrected to it not being a Czech Clock, but rather of the Austro Hungarian Empire...Biedermeier period...1820-1850.

Some names for the clock are: 'Wiener Portaluhr'(which there is one being offered on Austria's ebay site now), 'Stockuhr' or 'Stutzuhr'.

greg

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
What would the approx. value be on this clock? It's missing some pieces on the top and the top piece itself(an urn type object).

greg

posted
Gorgeous clock Greg, I'm particularly fond of these marble & slate creations, and especially portico types, not something that comes up too often this side of the pond ........ not that are affordable anyway.

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Actually this is all wood case.

The columns are turned Alabaster

The "flowers" that decorate the case are Mother of Pearl.

And then paper and cloth "flowers" behind the glass.

The clock has been given to me by the customer! Big Grin

greg

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Very interesting Greg! It is very unusual, I've never seen anything quite like it before, you have much to be thankful for as that was quite a nice gesture.

Please share the dimensions and approximate weight.

Debbie

Wink

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
It's 26" high X 15 1/2" wide. It's supposed to have an "urn type topper" on it.

The weight is approx 15lbs.

Someone put a lot of work into this case. It's all carved and turned wood ornaments and trim work, the carved mother of pearl "flowers", the paper and cloth flowers and folige, turned alabaster columns.

Thankful and still in shock & excitement!! The customer's husband passed away and she is moving into a smaller place. Her children weren't interested in it...so...she asked me to take it, because she wanted someone to have it who would appreciate it.

I just got another e-mail from her. She again thanked me for taking the clock. "Her Thanking me"? She is going to write a breif provanance of the clock for me. I plan to store it in the music box part of the clock.

greg

greg

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The flowers behind the glass on top:

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The movement, "Grand Sonnier":