• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Visitor from the watch boards with a clock question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Chapter 2:

Well, I managed to get a NOS movement on eBay for $25.00 BIN He said in the headline "Used" but later in E-mail he said it had never been mounted in a clock.

Enough of the bragging...

The movement is now mounted in the case and ticking away, but I have two problems I could use your collective help with.

1. The minute hand is about 3 minutes fast. In other words, it goes into the chime sequence when the minute hand is about three minutes after the hour.

2. The hammers don't reach the chimes. Is there an elegant way to correct this, or do I just bend the hammer rods? I have already moved the chime bracket as far north as it will go without re-drilling the mounting holes.

Thanks for any and all assistance, Jim

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
Great job getting the movement installed. The hour hand on many clocks has a bushing in the center with a square hole for mounting on the shaft. If this is the case with yours, then just insert a square file, or straight blade screwdriver corner to corner, and, while holding the hand firmly turn the bushing so the hand will be oriented correctly when installed back on the clock. Danger areas here, 1) cutting your finger with the edge of the hand as you apply pressure to turn; 2) bending or breaking the hand. Use caution, but turning the bushing will do the trick.

Next, the rods that the hammers are on can be gently bent to hit the rods. Never bend the chime rods. They are very brittle at the end and will probably break. The hammers should be adjusted just close enough so that they give a crisp strike on the rod, but not so close that they double hit the rod, or rest on the rod at the end of the strike.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Good news... Everything is working great.

Tom, the minute hand has a hex nut attached to the back of the bushing so I was able to adjust it quite handily without too many hazards. Thanks

The chimes were not very difficult either and they are sounding good. My wife loves them. That should be good for a few brownie points. Wink

At any rate, I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. Many thanks to you all.

Best regards, Jim

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Excellent work Jim. I hope to see many more posts from you on the clock side of the things. The amount of crossover here is amazing. Great fun!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I to have acquired a Verichron Regulator Westminster Chime model. I advanced the minute and hour hand without allowing the clock to chime. I know, I know that was not too bright. Now the chime assembly will not chime. Is there a trip or lever I might find to release the jam? The clock did chime at first until I ignored common sense. Any thoughts are welcome.
cheers,

if it ticks we most likely collect it.

Posts: 1 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: July 05, 2014
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I may have missed this most important item, but did you remove the springs from the barrels and clean the springs and lube them before replacing them into the barrels again. If not, your not going to have much luck keeping this in operation. Just wondering? I looks like a nice clock and the Westminster chime is a plus.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Whoops-----I miss page two of this saga.. Enjoy!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007