WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Be part of a 5000 year old 'clock' event celebrating the winter solstice "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
At Newgrange in Ireland is a 5000 year old structure built to celebrate winter solstice. A tunnel is aligned with the sun such that once a year for a few minutes the suns rays illuminate an inner chamber. This structure is older than Stonehenge or the pyramids!
This year a webcam will transmit the event live on 21st and 22nd December.

http://www.newgrange.com/webcast.htm

(pls cut and paste)

gives details and further information about this truly remarkable place, which I have had the priviledge of visiting.

Peter
UK

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting Peter. I hope to catch it. Thanks for the post.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Went through all of the tests Peter, still don't know if I will be able to watch. Thanks for sharing, really interesting. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Phillip,
You should see a hand with the fingers in motion, counting down, and hear some music.

Its only 150kbit stream so it won't be very high quality

Peter

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Had to watch it from the archive...very interesting...Thanks

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Yesterday was a perfect morning and quite magical.
Today the sun did not break thru the clouds until a few minutes after the sunrise hence no light in the chamber.

As Greg says yesterdays was archived.

Peter