Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Lobby 14" 15 day - 86F Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's my latest project. Can't seem to find out exactly what Case this is, but I've discovered it's cherry wood after starting to clean it. I did find the number 7 stamped in the wood between the hinges under the door.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Instructions tag dates it to Nov. 20, 1912

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
86F Movement

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Dave,
A beautiful piece!! If you get tired of it send it my way and I will take really good care of it.

Those 86 movements are a really nice looking movements and are suppose to be a real work horse and it is easy to tell that by looking at it. You might already know some information gathered a 60 tooth escapement, a 3 and 11/16 inch bob with a pendulum length of 8 and 1/4 inch from center wheel.
A beauty and nice find!!

Best regards,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Tim,
I'm trying to learn everything I can about it. I know some of these were marked 40, 50, etc. indicating the number of teeth on the escapement? And they also came with a 30 day run time.
I wonder why Seth Thomas made this clock in varying speeds? I believe some were used for time clocks also.
The only marking on this one is the 86F. First 'F' I've seen also. Not sure how they used these letters. Think it has something to do with the progression of manufacture through the years.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1725
posted
GOOD MORNING Dave,
not seen any for sale either.
I think the 86's were just like 40 but different ew's (40 vrs. 60)

The 86A is 30 day run time, and your 86F is 15 as you stated above.

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Dave maybe the different rate/speed of movement would have been for different length drops in clock size, just a guess.

Tim

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
just a lovely clock Dave!!!! Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Finally got her cleaned up and running.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And the 86F movement cleaned up nice.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1725
posted
WOW!!! Awesome job Dave. It really brought out the "beautiful color". The movement looks great also, over all I would rate that job a 10. That is one sharp looking clock and one to be proud of in my book.
Very, Very nice job!!
Best regards,
Tim

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks guys,
Appreciate the comments. This cherry case does have a beautiful smooth finish. Took me a couple of days to get through all the grime, and paint clear around the entire outside edge, that someone tried to camoflage with brown paint. My pictures don't do it justice. When I first got it, I thought it might be walnut but wasn't sure. I didn't consider that it might be cherry.
And a special thanks to Tom Brunton, for telling me how to clean it!! I've tried a lot of things over the years, but this clock cleaned up better than anything I ever worked on.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1725
posted
Hope your willing to share that secret someday, again AWESOME!!!

Tim

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ha Ha! I was waiting for someone to ask. Smile
I think I'll leave that for Tom. He told me and I'm sure he will share it.
I will tell you it was a pure pleasure to see that old grime come off. But, It will take another week or so to get my fingernails clean. ie: wear rubber gloves.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
absolutely,glad to give a tip to any and all .First things first,what a beauty of a job you did on the clock Dave,very well done !! The product I use is mechanics lanolin based hand cleaner,available at any auto parts store for a few bucks. What I started using was the brand Whish Versalan,but almost any brand lanolin based hand cleaner will work. It seams to dissolve the grime and grit ,and does not affect the varnish so that when you are done the varnish is still alligatored finish as it was. I apply the cleaner on 0000 steel wool and then I use soft flannel rag,works great for clocks and violins,it sure saves time and the original varnish finish. Use it with my blessing,it's done dozens and dozens of projects for me.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Dave. Beautiful job on the clock. I am fortunate enough to have the same movement only with the long drop (30 days). It is in the mahogany case. They are beautiful clocks. Enjoy it.
Thanks Tom for sharing your dirty little secret! I will try it next time I have one to do.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks John,
I have a new appreciation for the 86 movement. Strong runner, and very quiet. I'm finding they were used in several applications, and had at least 3 different bpm configurations.
Post a picture of your clock. I'd love to see it. So far, I haven't seen any with the same case as mine.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Dave: Hopefully I have attached a couple of pics. of my clock. I think it is called the "World", however some books list it a a 15 day where as mine is marked as 30 days, However it runs only about 21-23 days. It has (I believe) the original springs so is probably a little tired. It was cleaned and oiled about 3-4 years ago. You will note the dial is marked 30 Days. I am not sure what the letter is behind the no. on the movement but the pendulum is about 18".

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted
No. 2

IHC Member 1892
posted
No. 3

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice clock John,

Looks like it's had an easy life!

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1892
posted
I believe it has been well cared for Dave. It appears to be quit original with original finish and fortunately has not been messed with. I have never touched the case except to dust it Couple little marks on the dial (key marks probably) but otherwise pretty nice. I have had it around for 15-20 years.

IHC Member 1725
posted
Thanks Tom for letting the cat out of the bag and sharing your knowledge on the cleaning technique. I will definitely try it.

John you have a very nice looking clock and it sounds like it has become a part of the family.

Best Regards,
Tim

IHC Member 1892
posted
Thank you Tim. Only problem is the family (of clocks) has become too big.