• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Chelsea Clock 24 Hour Wall Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm new and not sure how this works but if someone could help I would be grateful.
I would like to determine the age of this clock. It is 24 hour, key wind, Port hole that opens via hinge has a f&S and says US Goverment under the hands. Thank you.

Laurie

Posts: 4 | Location: Cushing, Maine USA | Registered: May 29, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Laurie,
My one chelsea reference is a 1911 catalogue. I think this is much later. It looks like a bakelite case, but I am not sure from the picture. I am thinking from the 40s, but that is purely a guess. I have a some friends that are much more knowledgeable about Chelsea than I, and I will ask them.

On a separate note. you live in a very beautiful part of the world. Laura and I went to Maine for a bit in the summers for about ten years in a row. We would headquarter at Boothbay Harbor, or Bar Harbor or Ogunquit. Most frequently at Boothbay. Pemaquid Point is my favorite place in all the country. We have passed through Cushing and many other lovely places along the coast. We haven't been able to go back in a few years, but sure would love to.

Welcome to IHC. It is great to have you here. Perhaps someone will find the answer to your question before I get a chance to connect with the people I think will know.

Great bunch of people here. Are you mainly (no pun intended) a clock collector? My clock collection is mostly American. Others here have extensive collections and knowledge most any type of clock from any country.

Again, Welcome! Feel free to post often and join in on the conversations!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom, Thank you for the welcome and the information. I love Maine as well. I'm only 1/4 mile from the ocean and have a Salt Pond within view of my home.
I'm not really a collector. I mostly sell for other people and have to do alot of research. Recently there has been a couple of instances where had I known about this site I would have come here first to "The Experts". Thank you again.

Laurie

Posts: 4 | Location: Cushing, Maine USA | Registered: May 29, 2006
posted
Hi Laurie

I have an identical Chelsea clock. Mine was made in 1984, and used on a Navy tugboat until it was decommissioned several years ago. You can check the age of your clock by looking up its serial number at this website: http://www.chelseaclockmuseum.com/newpage6.htm. I believe these clocks are still made as part of the Timemaster series.

My clock is screwed to the wall, and I don't remember if the serial no. is on the back of the case, or if you have to remove the movement from the case (if memory serves, you unscrew the three white headed screws at the 15, 35, and 55 min.positions). The SN may be scratched on the case back, saving the bother.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Look on the outside of the case at the 12 or 24.Most have the serial number there.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003