Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Date ThisTriple Fusee by BARWISE of LONDON. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, First I must apologise, My arthritic fingers wouldn't allow me to pull movement, but I managed to get pic's of movement through side access panel and rear door of case.
I maybe should have added this onto the nested bells thread, I hope you don't mind me starting another.
I'm guessing the clock is last half of 1800s There are several Barwise listed, this one annoyingly didn't use or give his initial. Any views on this/or opinions?.
The pendulum is shown clamped in it's carriage position, In use the large headed clamp screw is transferred into screw hole at top right of rear plate. (i like this feature in a clock). All the best ,Ged.

Musical_Clock_on_8_bells_By_BARWISE_of_LONDONDSC00204

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
First Pic' of Movement showing bells,

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
View of movement showing bells.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Same side Lower view

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Promise Last One, View of Rear ,

Rear_View,Showing_Pendulum_Clamp

posted
Ged,
I'm sorry I can't help you identify the maker of your clock. It's a real beauty. Big Grin

Here's a picture of an English, Burled Walnut, Break Arch time only fusee I have in my study. The movement in my clock has heavy brass plates similar to what you show. The clock stands about 13 inches tall.

Mine was bought in Reading, England about 15 years ago and apparently it dates back to around the 1830's. This is why it's affectionately called "WILLIAM" in our house Cool I'll let the IHC members see if they can figure out the historical reference associated with the name. Wink Like you I've been unable to identify the actual maker.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

William

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Your Barwise is from 1880 to 1900.Movement is of German manufacture,WH.The clock called William is of English manufacture, around mid 1800's (1850).

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
picture of a English rack of bells movement

English_rack_of_bells_movement

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Mid 18th century English bracket clock

Mid 18th century English bracket clock

posted
Doug,
that clock of your's is awesome.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Super clock Doug!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WOW!!!

Eek

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Thanks Doug, I always knew/suspected The Barwise had German movement. I also have a smaller Triple Chain Fusee on Gongs. This has J W Benson. Ludgate Hill. London . engraved on the chapter ring, This is also German movement, No disputing the date of it, it has Presentation Plate on it May 1900. I could take pic's if anyone wants to see it. Regards. Ged.

posted
Hello, I wanted to continue this interesting thread with a recently acquired Bracket clock. The gentleman I purchased this from called it an English Bracket clock, but in reading this thread I am somewhat confused. The movement is very similar to Ged's clock but according to information in this thread, is of German manufacture. Is the clock then considered German or is it an English Bracket clock with a German movement?

It has a triple fusee movement and chimes Whittington on a nest of 8 bells and Westminster on 4 gongs. The oak case is highly carved. The front two carved figures are busts of a woman on the left and a man on the right. Below the figures, the carvings transition into fruit, nuts and grapes. Above the man and female figure are wolf heads and the relief carving also having profile wolves carved in the case. The top of the case has leaves with the center being some type of carved north wind imagery. Any help in dating and clarifying what this clock is would be appreciated.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Here is an picture of the movement, sorry I don't have the skill to remove it for detail images

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Derek,
off the top of my head, I think your clock is more likely to be of
Germanic origin, opposed to being English.
I say this due the type and style of the carving.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Ged,

I would not be absolutely sure of the date of an item with a presentation plate on it. I once owned an English oak roll top desk with a 1927 presentation plate on it. It was an antique at that time given to a Vicar on the occasion of his retirement. Someletters were stuck behind a drawer and we were able to reach his granddaughter there in England for confirmation. She said it must have been sold when he moved to a smaller manse about 6 months before we obtained the desk here in the states.

So I am saying the clock could be older. I wuld look for other clues to absolutely date it to 1900. But you know the British system and clocks far better than I do.

Good Luck!

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004