Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Sangamo Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
Can anyone tell me where I can find info on Hamilton Sangamo clocks. Saw one yesterday in an antique mall and thought it was interesting but I do no know anything about this type clock.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Pete Cronos

Posts: 121 | Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas USA | Registered: April 23, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Pete, here is one you can scoop up on eBay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Looks real interesting to me, lots of history on the back!

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
I am going to bid on the clock. I think it is a neat clock.

Tony Dukes

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This will help with the company history. The text is from AMERICAN CLOCK AND WATCHMAKERS by Spittlers and Bailey.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
In my opinion, the best Sangamos to collect were the self-winding models. They used an 11 jewel Illinois watch movement to run the clock. It was kept constantly wound by an electric motor. So, if power went off, and that happened a lot, the clock would run for up to 30 hours, and then rewind itself when the power came back on. Those early Sangamos had cases made by a Chicago area desk manufacturer. The wood and construction, were superior. I had one of the large square walnut gallery self winders for many years and let my son have it.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Clyde Welch, a founding member of Tennessee Valley Chapter, had one of the self-winding models in a beautiful wood case. I don't know what happened to it when he passed away and his family settled his estate. Many of Clyde's clocks as well as some belonging to two other members of the chapter who are also deceased appear in Robert Miller's book "Clock Guide; Identification with Prices", which was published in 1971 by Wallace-Homestead Book Company.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
A couple of years ago a presentation was given at the Regional in Milwaukee Wisconsin on Sangamo clocks. There was also an extensive display of clocks. I regret not getting a copy of the text from the presentation and taking pictures of the clocks. As I remember, the speaker said that there were a lot of errors in published works about the Sangamo Company. Does anyone remember this or have the information?
The picture below is a Sangamo I "snagged" on Ebay for less than $20.00. Art Deco design with burl wood veneer on the case. New braided cord and the clock works fine. As with most, it is not self starting. There is a lever on the back that one must flick when the power goes off or the clock gets unplugged.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
A few years ago I was in a small municipal electric plant in Oklahoma where two large matched Sangamos, one self winding and the other synchronous, were mounted over the switch gear. The second hands on both clocks were synchronized so that if the generators drifted off cycles the synchronous clock leading or lagging would notify the operator. The plant was mixed Fairbanks and Superiors and had been built in the mid 20s.

Posts: 15 | Location: Newton, Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: September 02, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting Donald. I did not know they used them that way. Thanks for the post.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I saw a Sangamo clock on Ebay and was not sure of it,s origin or any connection to the watch company so i did not give it a second look.I will keep my eye open for them now on. Cool