Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Night Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I am restoring a Waltham Night Clock. This consists of a milk-glass dial in a round metal frame with a one-day back-wind movement. Rear illumination is provided by a gas flame or a candle. I need to know what the winding key (threaded onto winding arbor) looks like. I also would like to know how the glass dial is held in the frame. Thanks for any advice.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Aaron, do you mean a Waterbury night clock? Does it look anything like this?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Apparently several companies made these. Mine is a Waltham, but looks very similar to the Waterbury. It has a modified 14-size KW movement behind the glass. A winding knob of some sort is supposed to thread onto the barrel arbor which protrudes through the back of a dust cover. I imagine the glass face (which is loose at the moment) is held in place by a circular spring wire of a sort similar to what often retains the glass in a clock bezel. I would just like to verify the proper form of both of these pieces so the clock can be properly restored.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jerry, They are very interesting clocks. It makes sense that a watch co, would make them since the movement used is a balance wheel rather than pendulum type. I have seen a few of these, but don't really know how the glass is attached. I would like to see a picture of yours when you are finished putting it in shape.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Jerry,

What an interesting clock! And thanks Tom for that clear picture. Looking at that from a modern day perspective it is hard to imagine something like that with an open flame in the bedroom.

This is another example of how times have changed and why it is so important to preserve such things.

Keep us informed Jerry, your restoration will surely prove very interesting.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine

Chapter 185 Administrative Secretary
Chapter 185 Membership Coordinator
NAWCC Member 157487
IHC Member 164
IHC Life Member (L4)

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Well, time flies and my restoration projects move very slowly. I picked this one up again and got the movement working and mounted to the dial. Unfortunately, I think these original hands may have originally gone with a roman numeral dial. As you can see, the dial is currently held in the frame with masking tape, and I don't have a winder yet. Does anyone have any tips on how the winder should look? Also, does anyone have suggestions for cleaning the gilded metal frame. It is pretty gunked up with a century-worth of grime and probably soot.