• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tower clock - Pensacola ++ "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Went down to Pensacola over the Memorial day weekend to marry off my oldest son to a local Pensacola girl. Great time, the wedding came off like clock work ... oh that reminds me ... found an old tower clock that now sits at ground level.

The E. Howard & Co from Boston Mass is enclosed in a glass structure, making it easy for the public to see the works. I have some photos but surrounding reflections drowned out most of the detail.

I have emailed the C of C in Pensacola to get a little history on the clock. The bell strike is not working or they just don't wind it... I would have loved to have heard it. If I here back from the C of C I will share with the group.

Charlie Sides

posted
Sorry about the reflections but the flowers were beautiful.

posted
Pendulum & bell stike weights - at least the top 5 weights appeared to be lead. Wonder what the total weight is?

posted
put up by W.F. Williams, Jeweller , 1880

posted
Pendulum rod & works

posted
Nice old tower clock Charles.It sure would be neat to see it restored and put back in use again.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great clock Charlie, and great pictures also. I really like the idea of having the clock on the ground where people can see and appreciate the mechanism. Not many places would do that.

There is a tower clock mechanism at work and on display in the L.L. Bean store in Freeport, Maine. Those great big beasts are great to watch. Thanks for the post.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
HELP !

I received an interesting newspaper article from 1982 explaining the history & restoration of the E. Howard clock.

It is in Adobe format and the file is to big to upload as an attachment.

Any body have any ideas as to how to get it posted (short of retyping - ugh.)

Charlie

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Charlie,
If the PDF file is too large the text probably would be also too large to post in the board. Anyway, I can convert the PDF to Word text using an OCR. You can send it to my mail: floresco@excite.com

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is a tower clock that we happened on today. It is in Chelsea, Michigan.

What I know about the clock, so far, is that it is at the top of a water tower. The tower was built for the Glazier Stove Company. It seems that part of the factory burned, and when rebuilt they decided a water tower might be a good idea. The clocks were decorations.

According to the info from a local I chatted with about the clock it seems that Glazier, who was the State Treasurer of Michigan from 1904 - 1908 obtained the clockworks from England. There is no record of his ever paying for the clock, and was eventually fired from his position due to his penchant for embezeling funds for his own uses.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The only info I have on the clock is that it came from England, and is apparently not yet paid for.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One of the building associated with the Glazier Stove Co. This building is next to the clock tower building, and across the tracks from the train station, which pictures of which are posted in another area.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Information about the company.

Tom

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Great thread Charlie!

Would you believe I saw your Pensacola clock last weekend. Still not working. Frown

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Working Street clock in Fairhope, Alabama

posted
Was back in Fairhope last weekend and decided to take a close up of dial. Does anyone know if reads Verlin Company, Cincinnatti?

posted
Found this interesting non-working street clock in a residential area in Pensacola last weekend.

posted
Of course I had to get a close up of face!

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
brings back memories, thanks Stephanie.

I really liked how they displayed it at ground level in glass so it could be easily viewed. Too bad it is not running yet.

There's some beautiful tower clocks out there.

Charlie