WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My new Arthur Pequegnat Moncton 15 day deadbeat Regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
My new Arthur Pequegnat Moncton 15 day deadbeat Regulator with maintaining power which I bought last week. It arrived yesterday,35 5/8" long and heavy as a dead pig LOL,but nice on the wall, shippng cost from Vancouver Island to Aylmer Ontario $177.50 which includes box,packing and shipping!!! Now I'm just awaiting the arrival of my Seth Thomas World station clock from the CPR station in Durham Ontario,and so marked on the inside back with the card of F.W.Day,Inspector of Time Service,CPR. Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats Tom, that's a fine-looking clock!

I love the pierced hands (that's what we can hands like that on a watch, I'm not sure if the same terminology applies to clocks).

Is the case made of quarter-sawn oak?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Ed: yes mostly quarter cut,all oak

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Tom:

Very nice example of a Pequegnat Moncton regulator.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Seth Thomas World station clock from the CPR station in Durham Ontario,and so marked on the inside back with the card of F.W.Day,Inspector of Time Service,CPR,inspected August 17,1966. Big Grin .

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
If anyone is interested in this Durham Ontario Telegraph office CPR World clock email me please, as I have purchased an identical one carded to the CPR station in my hometown of Winnipeg,Manitoba, thanks,Tom

posted
Man thats a beautiful clock Tom , Mike

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
I have the same model of clock. My clock has the CNR stencil on the dial( very faded as someone tried to wipe it off) as well as the number 265 on the dial and R265 on the back of the case. The clock is supposed to have come from the ST Walburg, Saskatchewan station.
Does anyone know if there are CNR records or other ways to verify where this clock was used?

I tried to attach a picture but i can't seem to get it small enough to send.

Larry H Hill

Larry Hill

Posts: 4 | Location: Alberta in Canada | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Larry, pretty tough to nail it down without some research, probably best to contact the Picture Butte Museum and they may have some info. The link below states that the station was built in 1921 and closed down in 1982 so the best way is to talk to some old railroaders from St. Walburg who may remember who the operator was there at the time and you may be able to contact him. That is how I nailed down the Moncton that I have. The station pictured in the link may not even be the original as they replaced a bunch of them in the 60's. If I can get my book back from whoever I lent it to I will find out.
http://www.historicplaces.ca/e...ce-lieu.aspx?id=9256

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thank you for the information. I had located that picture but the information I have is that the father (station master) had taken the clock home in the mid sixties so maybe that was when they upgraded or rebuilt the station. I will try to contact some museums in the area. I am trying to decide whether to keep the clock or sell it and confirming its origins would make it more valuable to me.

Larry Hill

Posts: 4 | Location: Alberta in Canada | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Member 1541
posted
I have been checking this a bit more. As far as I can tell that station, while it is the second station at St. Walburg, was built in 1922 to replace a temporary one built in 1921. St. Walburg was a CNoR 4th Class stn. while 22 miles down the line in Turtleford a larger 3rd Class stn. was built in 1914 and in 1981 at least, that is where the train order board was so I am wondering if St. Walburg even had a clock. Hang on for a while, I have to make a couple of calls.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Ok,I found out from a guy who worked out of North Battleford that St. Walburg was the turnaround point so there would definitely have been a clock there. The sad news is that there are not any known records, all you can rely on is anecdotal information from former employees. What would really be nice is some pictures of the clock just because we like that sort of thing.

Unless you really need the money I think you should keep the clock but that is just me.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Larry, the old station in Turtleford is now the museum so they may have some info that will help you. The one problem is that they do not open until the May long weekend.