Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Clocks by Charles Gretton, London "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Dennis Radage
posted
A new project has begun for the creation and publishing of a book on the famous English maker Charles Gretton, London. Born in Claypole, Lincolnshire England in 1649, Master of the Colckmakers Company 1700 and working until about 1730. He worked at the Ship in Fleet Street.

I am co-authoring this book and am searching for all clocks and watches made by Gretton for possible inclusion in the book. If you own a clock by Gretton, or know someone or an association, museum or other establishment that has a Gretton Clock, we would sincerely like to hear from you.

Dennis Radage, FNAWCC. grettonproject@telus.net.
Thank you.

Posts: 4 | Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada | Registered: March 19, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello, In the late 60s I was offered a Gretton 30hr with brass face, I think it was in a pine case and had been cut down to fit in a low ceiling cottage. I didn't buy it, Not being into 30hr clocks and the shortened case put me off. The clock was in a cottage in Sudbury, Suffolk, England. Not much help to you I'm afraid. Good luck with your research. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Dennis Radage
posted
Thanks Jed. All information is useful. I suppose that this is now too far back to trace the owner.
Regards, Dennis

Posts: 4 | Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada | Registered: March 19, 2003