Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cuckoo Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Are Cuckoo clocks collectable? I found a 3-weight cuckoo clock, that a friend bought back from Germany around 1957. It appears to be a30-hour movement, would anyone be able to identify the type of case? Whats a good way to clean 50 years of dirt/dust off the case? Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
This style is called bird-and-leaf, from the front carvings. These bird-and-leaf music box cuckoos have been going on ebay in the $15-$30 range.

bangster

Posts: 7 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: October 18, 2005
posted
Wayne,
This style cuckoo clock can be a real pain to work on. Most of those clocks need some attention. The movement is probably a Regula 25 and the music box movement is likely not available anymore. The music movement is probably in the attic. These can sometimes be rebuilt. Sequencing of each function is usually the problem. I know of no book that explains the sequence and it is not apparent from looking at the clock.
As the Bangster said, they are not worth much and most times lots of time is required to make them go.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
The movements in cuckoo clocks are probably a lot like some the Hermele chime movements: a lot less headache and agony just to buy a new movement and replace the old one.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
A very good reference for dating and other information on cuckoo clocks is:

The Black Forest Cuckoo Clock by Karl Kochmann, published 1978,79 by Antique Clocks Publishing, Concord, California.

I am guessing it may have been published again since then, but that is what my book has.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002