Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Aircraft Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
For lack of knowing anything else about it. I'm looking for some wisdom from the group. What is it? The dial is about 2" diameter.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Probably Waltham. I have restored these clocks. They are well made. If it is like ones I have done there is a ring around the crystal that must be removed in order to get the movement out.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Roger, I was thinking Elgin first and then Waltham. But I've never had one or looked at one. Bought this at auction. I'll post some more info and better pictures when I get it. Hope it's worth the $30 I paid for it!
I can't find any that show the front set knob at 12. Those that look like this case show that knob at 6. Wonder if the movement or dial is upside down?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
$30 is a great price if it just needs COA. Even if it needs parts still not bad at all. A friend gave me a model prop after I got my pilots license and I put the Waltham clock I had in it. Looks good. See pics.

Roger

IHC Life Member
posted
Note location of winding/setting knob. I think this is more common than yours.

There were a lot of manufacturers of these and yours could even be non-American.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Makes a nice display. I've never looked much at these before, but I'm finding some possibilities,
Longines-Wittnauer maybe? Hope it hasn't been adulterated too much to repair.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Got the clock today. Somewhat disappointing. Wound up tight. I think the mainspring is okay. Balance staff broken and pallet fork laying loose in the case. Otherwise it looks like it is repairable.
But I can't figure out how to get it out of the case. The stem needs to be removed and so far I don't know how to do that.

It's a 7 jewel Swiss LeCoultre Longines-Wittnauer.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
posted
That's too bad Dave. With the pallet fork loose the clock should have no power on the mainspring. See if there is a snap ring around the crystal. It might be hard to see. That is what normally holds the movement in the case. At least on the aircraft clocks I have worked on. Any LeCoultre I have seen was well made.

Roger

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Roger, I've studied the dial carefully. No retaining ring, no bezel. The whole front section is one piece. I think the train is locked up and the spring is wound tight.
Upon further examination, I see the escape wheel turning freely. And the adjacent wheel, forget what you call it is also turning freely, but then pinion on the next gear is not meshing. Gear train has been installed incorrectly! Some kind uneducated soul has done this clock no favors.
I removed the balance cock and the pallet bridge. Made sure the train would not spin out of control and let the spring down gently in the case.
Every thing looks good except the balance staff. Train spins freely and no broken teeth or pinions.
But until I figure out how to remove the stem I'm stuck. And also need to source a balance staff or repair.

Dave Turner