Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E Howard Master slave clock on ebay Got Info? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I would love to know more about this kind of clock, so if you know this one, would you please clue me in on the workings of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Sheila

clock4

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
I have not seen this particular configuration before, but this appears to be the master clock. The slave clocks would be in various other parts of the same building and connected to the master by wires.

When an electrical impulse was generated or sent by the master, the slave clock would advance. i am guessing that all the numbered stations you see down the length of the clock were where the slave clocks were attached.

There were many types of master/slave systems. Some were electric, others were pheumatic, with a rubber tube connecting the master to the slaves. The master would have a bellows and a puff of air was sent to the slaves to advance the time.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom,
OOPS I did leave out the Master part huh? Sorry.

This information is fantastic, I didn't know about these at all! Were these used for anything spacific, like for work, timing things, or business or? was it just a way to have multiple clocks?

Very interesting, thank you!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Sheila
A lot of these clocks were used by schools to keep all class rooms on the same time.

Doug

Posts: 138 | Location: Magdalena, New Mexico USA | Registered: April 01, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The ones in the school I taught at were pneumatic. Clockwatchers found that the hand moved slightly backwards before it moved forward. The system was replaced during my stint there, and I did manage to get a few of the slave clocks.

Around the rim of the clock, to amuse the clockwatchers, I had posted, "Time will pass....will you?"

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well, I sure think they are interesting!
They may not be one of the famous clocks, but I like how unique they are.

I love it! time will pass, will you? LOL

Sheila

posted
You have a very interesting time piece! Some master clocks also send out impulses to energize solenoids for chime systems-for instance the O.B. McClintock (I restored one about 25 years ago).
jim

Posts: 2 | Location: Meridian House, L.L.C. Filer, Idaho | Registered: May 20, 2007