Internet Horology Club 185
Junghans "Free Swinger" [Not Vienna] Regulator

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/5933927287

June 16, 2014, 22:36
Tim Poovey
Junghans "Free Swinger" [Not Vienna] Regulator
Hi Gentleman,
I bought this clock from a church member this past week. I been doing a little cleaning on it. This is the first Junghans I have owned and I know little about it. It is in pretty nice condition and I think a pretty good price, so I thought I would post some pics... Hope you like!!

June 16, 2014, 22:39
Tim Poovey
Old man watching time

June 16, 2014, 22:40
Tim Poovey
dial

June 16, 2014, 22:41
Tim Poovey
lower portion

June 16, 2014, 22:41
Tim Poovey
And time still flies..

June 16, 2014, 22:43
Tim Poovey
open view... Thanks for looking
Best Regards!!
Tim

June 16, 2014, 22:51
Gary E. Foster
Looks Very nice, Great case.
June 17, 2014, 08:50
Dave Turner
Very nice Tim.

The wood is beautiful.

Dave Turner
June 17, 2014, 11:09
Mike Hodge
Very nice, Tim. I have one I bought from a Gasthause (sp) in Germany in 1970. Mine is not as nice as yours. Good pick, nice clock.
June 17, 2014, 15:21
Tim Poovey
Thanks gentlemen for looking and the nice comments. I just took it to my clock friend to get it cleaned today, the movement was pretty dark tarnished as was the pendulum and bezel. I kind of hated to clean them up that much, but they were almost black and they will darken in time and probably look better.
My clock man seems pretty sure it is made out of Rosewood and referred to it as a swag style clock. I might post some pics of the movement when I get it back, but one good thing about it is that it is the original Junghans star trademark movement.
Thanks again guys for looking!!
Tim
June 17, 2014, 16:12
Norman Mayberry
Beautiful clock!Due to the open pendulum this style clock is called a "Free Swinger",not a Vienna Regulator.I've owned several over the years.Junghans clocks were very well built.Regards,Norm
June 17, 2014, 17:30
Tim Poovey
Thanks, Norm for the correction and information. I am always happy and eager to learn because as I stated above I know very little about these clocks.
June 19, 2014, 03:25
Damien McCann
Tim --

I know nothing horological about your clock, but the carved figure in photo #2 is a Green Man, a face (almost always male) either composed of or sprouting leaves, vines, flowers, etc. Its history is not entirely clear, but it is generally thought to have represented a mythic figure -- perhaps a deity of nature, or at least a personification of living nature/plants) -- that seems to have originated in the old Celtic and Germanic pagan cultures.

Green Man variations have been found as drawn and carved decorations on objects dating back as far as the 5th century, and they are commonly seen in/on many European churches, gothic cathedrals, and other old public buildings.

The decoration surged back to popularity, especially in Northern Europe, during the Arts and Crafts Movement (about 1860-1910 or so); I suspect your clock was made at about this time.

-Damien
June 19, 2014, 14:08
Tim Poovey
Hello gentlemen,
Thanks Damien for the information, I was not aware of this. Now that we have the explanation of the Green Man as being new birth/growth/life,
if I am understanding correctly. Would the hour glass with wings on the pendulum be a symbol of Tempus Fugit Memento mori as going thru "Time" that death is sure to come. I am just trying to figure out if the clock is telling a story or am I just "blowing in the wind".
Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim