Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Junghans "Free Swinger" [Not Vienna] Regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Gentleman,
I bought this clock from a church member this past week. I been doing a little cleaning on it. This is the first Junghans I have owned and I know little about it. It is in pretty nice condition and I think a pretty good price, so I thought I would post some pics... Hope you like!!

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Old man watching time

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
dial

IHC Member 1725
posted
lower portion

IHC Member 1725
posted
And time still flies..

IHC Member 1725
posted
open view... Thanks for looking
Best Regards!!
Tim

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Looks Very nice, Great case.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Very nice Tim.

The wood is beautiful.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
Very nice, Tim. I have one I bought from a Gasthause (sp) in Germany in 1970. Mine is not as nice as yours. Good pick, nice clock.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1725
posted
Thanks gentlemen for looking and the nice comments. I just took it to my clock friend to get it cleaned today, the movement was pretty dark tarnished as was the pendulum and bezel. I kind of hated to clean them up that much, but they were almost black and they will darken in time and probably look better.
My clock man seems pretty sure it is made out of Rosewood and referred to it as a swag style clock. I might post some pics of the movement when I get it back, but one good thing about it is that it is the original Junghans star trademark movement.
Thanks again guys for looking!!
Tim

posted
Beautiful clock!Due to the open pendulum this style clock is called a "Free Swinger",not a Vienna Regulator.I've owned several over the years.Junghans clocks were very well built.Regards,Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Member 1725
posted
Thanks, Norm for the correction and information. I am always happy and eager to learn because as I stated above I know very little about these clocks.

posted
Tim --

I know nothing horological about your clock, but the carved figure in photo #2 is a Green Man, a face (almost always male) either composed of or sprouting leaves, vines, flowers, etc. Its history is not entirely clear, but it is generally thought to have represented a mythic figure -- perhaps a deity of nature, or at least a personification of living nature/plants) -- that seems to have originated in the old Celtic and Germanic pagan cultures.

Green Man variations have been found as drawn and carved decorations on objects dating back as far as the 5th century, and they are commonly seen in/on many European churches, gothic cathedrals, and other old public buildings.

The decoration surged back to popularity, especially in Northern Europe, during the Arts and Crafts Movement (about 1860-1910 or so); I suspect your clock was made at about this time.

-Damien

Posts: 143 | Location: Puget Sound, Washington in the USA | Registered: January 16, 2010
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hello gentlemen,
Thanks Damien for the information, I was not aware of this. Now that we have the explanation of the Green Man as being new birth/growth/life,
if I am understanding correctly. Would the hour glass with wings on the pendulum be a symbol of Tempus Fugit Memento mori as going thru "Time" that death is sure to come. I am just trying to figure out if the clock is telling a story or am I just "blowing in the wind".
Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim