Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ingraham 8 day Duplex "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's my weekend junk store find - for ten bucks.
Still not worth much, but I love to clean up most anything.
This old clock runs great after a thorough clean in the ultrasonic and some fresh oil, and has a nice mellow bimbam chime.
All I need is a bezel door and glass, and maybe a new hour hand, (the tip's broken off) - not shown in the pictures.
Can I clean the dial without making it worse?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ingraham after cleaning

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave,

I have the same clock, from my wife's parents home.It was in their home as long as she can remember, and most likely came from her grandparents home.Great time keeper, stays within a half a minute a week.
I cleaned the dial with mild hand soap and a soft toothbrush.Got the dirt off but the discolored paint didn't change any. Anything stronger takes the paint right off.
I cleaned and polished the face of the numbers with Simichrome and they shine like gold.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Steven,
I almost didn't buy this clock. But now I'm glad I did. I was amazed at how little it took to get it going and how well it runs.
Sure wish I could find a door for the dial. I'll keep looking.
I cleaned the dial with mild soap and water but haven't worked on the numbers yet. Now I will.

And I sure do like the mellow tone of the chime.

Dave Turner

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Dave, Timesavers has new ones or you might pick up a cheap old one on the bay. Might have to buy the clock to get it though!

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Bill,

I did look at Timesavers, but couldn't quite figure out which one would be correct.

Would really rather have an old one to match the rest of the aged look of what I have.

Been watching ebay but so far no go.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 43
posted
Dave, measure the size of the bezel, I might have one in my "archives".

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Curly, That would be great!

I get 6 11/16" (maybe plus or minus a smidge)

I'm thinking this is what they referred to as a 7". And that's what is marked on the back label.

That's the diameter of the bezel covering the dial. The bezel door and glass is gone.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 43
posted
Dave, Sorry, I checked for a door this morning and only could find a couple of 6 1/2. I don't have any 7 inch.

curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks for looking Curly,
Just found this post. I cleaned up the dial a little. The brass numbers shine now and the dial is a little cleaner.
I'll keep looking for a door and an hour hand.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Curly, Just thought I'd give you an update. Got the old clock complete, and up and running finally.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 43
posted
Dave, Nice job, looks good. One like that was the first clock I had too many years ago to count.

Curly

IHC Member 1725
posted
Another great job Dave, clock really turned out nice. Those style clocks really have a sweet sound when they strike. Glad to see that you have it complete Smile

Thumbs up,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Great going , Dave!
That dial really cleaned up nicely.
Another great save.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I had about 4 hours in trying to solder that tip on the hour hand. It ain't pretty but it looks okay from about 8 feet away. And assembling that time and strike mechanism was a bit of a challenge. Maybe the next one will be a little faster.

Dave Turner