• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

FRENCH ORMOLU CARRIAGE CLOCK **HELP REQUESTED** "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'd like to find one of our IHC members who specializes in restoration of Gilt Ormolu Clocks. I've got this really beautiful French Carriage clock from around the late 19th. Century. The clock casing I believe is made from thirteen separate orumula castings. As you can see the deatils of this clock are just amazing.

Unforunately the outside of the clock has been painted at some time with gold paint, most likely to cover up worn gilt. What I need done is the clock to be totally disassembled, the paint stripped and new gilt applied. While we're at it I'd also like the clock cleaned and serviced and the feet adjusted. The clock stands approx nine inches tall.

Note:- The clock has it's own wooden shipping crate.

So is there any one up to the challenge ? If so please let me know. Smile

Figure I

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Figure II

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
If you don't find someone from the IHC, try Bill Berkowitz, his ad is in the MART under services. Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Dave many of the carriages of that era were not plated but were gold lacquer on bronze.If you do not see any signs plating then it was laquered. People over the years try to polish the case and remove the lacquer.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Your clock has a pendulum so I don't believe it's a "Carriage Clock". However, it is a very nice clock and should be restored to its original beauty. Carriage Clocks are "Travel Clocks" and most are fitted with a lever escapement, some with more unusual escapements.

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello, I had one very similar to this one but without the paint job. It should have a wood or marble base and a glass dome. Evidence for this is the lack of bezel and glass over the face, a bezel and glass is unecessary under a dome. Mine also had a matching pair of vases also under domes,making what is known as a Garniture Set. I wouldn't be suprised if yours started out as a set also. It's very nice Dave and well worth restoring. I will see if I can find pic's of mine as I had to sell it to raise Funds to pay my Taxes. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003