• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Parlor No. 1 Calendar "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently purchased this clock at an auction where it was sold as an Ithaca Calendar clock. It is in fact a Seth Thomas. The ST symbol is on the top dial, but someone had placed an Ithaca calendar dial on the bottom. The clock works perfectly changing the day abd the date. I have two questions. First, would someone out there have the correct ST calendar dial for the bottom, or know where I could have one made? Next does someone have directions on how to correctly advance the calendar mechanism?

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Gorgeous clock! I like it.
Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.antiqueclockspriceg...ls.php?clockid=44830

And a link with operating instruction:
http://www.antiqueclockspriceg...ls.php?clockid=44830

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice work Dave, here is one almost the same from an 1878catalogue.

And a site with pics of 9 of them: Seth Thomas Antique Clocks

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks for the link Lorne,
I'll be sure and file that one away.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Nice clock. I like the complications.

The whole, perpetual calendar thing fascinates me.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Very nice Ken!!!

I'll try to check on dial today.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Ken, no luck today at my friends shop.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Making some assumptions here.

If you are unable to find the proper dial you can have one photoshopped and printed on photo paper that is supposed to last 100 years.

I took a plain roman numeral 12 in. Seth Thomas metal dial to the print shop.

Using it as a template I had the numbers 13-24 added, removed the ST logo and added in it's place "Grand Trunk Pacific Time Service".

My only regret is that I did not add "Reproduction" on the edge as I don't want to fool anyone. I later printed it on the dial by hand.

If you get one printed the cost wouldn't be much more to have an extra private label done, perhaps Snowden Time. Smile

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

In 2008, IHC Member Steve Middlesworth had a dial repaired done for his clock here...

Ball Watch Company Clock Restoration Project

Lindell provides the contact information…

The name that comes to mind for your dial work is Martha Smallwood, her contact information is...

The Dial House
3971 Buchanan Highway
Dallas, GA. 30157
Call: 770-445-2877
Fax: 770-443-5426

Dial_House@Juno.com

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1892
posted
Ken: Congratulations on the purchase of your clock. I also have one in my collection. It has an Rosewood veneer case and I believe it to be very original. If you would like pictures of the dial or anything else just holler. John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
John I would very much appreciate a picture of the dials on your clock. I need to have something to send to the dial painter. If email is easier, mine is ksnowden@stny.rr.com Thanks

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
IHC Member 1892
posted
No Problem. Is a picture with hands on, in the clock OK or do you require the hands off so they can actually reproduce it? , John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
John, I am going to have a new dial made. I do not think the hands will interfere with the painter's view of the dial so long as they do not block any fine print.

IHC Member 1892
posted
I will try to get them today and send to your email address