• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilbert Gallery Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am hoping that someone can give me some information on this clock. It is not like any of the gallery clocks shown in the Gilbert book. None show a winding arbor at 2:30 like this one. The suspension is mounted to the backboard, and the crutch goes up from the movement. The case measures 18 inches, and the dial is 12 inches.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Dial

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Inside of case

posted
Clock without dial

posted
Name & date

IHC Member 43
posted
Hi Ken, that is a strange one, haven't seen that before, I looked through all my clock books plus the bulletin index and was unable to find anything that matched it. I hope someone can find info on it's origin.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Mr. Ken,

You are correct with the 2:30 winding arbor being different that the one shown in the book: American Clocks Vol. I, pp. 103 # 348, by Tran Duy Ly. However the six position matches and the dial seems quite similar. The movement is incorrect tho which makes one wander if Gilbert changed the movement at some time or other.
Is there a chance that the dial has 2 holes for the winding arbor and the 6:00 one was covered over by a paper dial and a different one cut at 2:30? That seems to me to be the only -yet unlikely answer. The book shows a date of 1910 so that is not consistent with the date scratched on the movement of 1862.....Mystery!

I wish we could i.d. the signature on the movement. perhaps someone else can decipher it.

Regards,

Moses
-in the jungles of Waxhaw NC

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
GREETINGS, THE MOVEMENT IS CALLED AN EAST WEST MOVEMENT IT WAS MADE BY INGRAHAM CLOCK CO. THE GILBERT CLOCK CO. BEGAN DOING BUSINESS IN 1871 IT DID MANUFACTURE A GALLERY CLOCK WITH AN EAST WEST MOVEMENT BUT IT WAS A WOODEN WORKS MOVEMENT MADE BY TORRINGTON. THESE MOVEMENTS ARE CALLED EAST WEST BECAUSE THEY ARE MOUNTED WITH THE LONG DIMENSION OF THE PLATES PERPENDICULER TO THE VERTICLE CENTERLINE OF THE CASE. THO THE MOVEMENT IS NOT ORIGINAL TO THE CASE IT IS A VALUABLE CLOCK.

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thanks for your input. I do not agree however that the movement was not original to the clock. I think the picture clearly shows that there was never anything else mounted in this case. I am at a conference right now, but I will check closer when I get home. The dial plate has not been plugged or altered in any way. I will make an effort to decipher the signature.

posted
Another thing, I was looking in the Gilbert Clock book by Tran Duy Ly. It gives a history of Wm. Gilbert and his work in clockmaking that predates the 1871 date that you sighted Eddie. I will look this up when I am back home.