Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OOPS! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I got this clock at an auction recently. There were many things to look at, I have posted some of the good catches on the site. When this one came up, I remembered looking under the dial and seeing the movement being held by a wooden block. A good sign of an older clock. I also thought about Kevin's cottage project and, this one having an alarm, I thought some pictures might help. When the bidding stopped at $30, I raised my number for $35, and it was sold.

I had a good laugh when I took off the dial to take some pictures. It doesn't run or strike. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Tom, thanks for thinking of me.Your clock would run if it had all the escapement, missing pallets and the assy.Nice clock overall.Should be fun to restore.Good price too, 35 dollars.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Looks like the whole train is missing to me. That would be a major problem over here ,but i suppose you can pick up a spare movement in the US. Not my cup of Tea though. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Is there any markings on it? It looks a lot like J C Brown movements I remember seeing pictures of in the book on Brown.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Thanks, that is just the lead I am looking for. I checked the usual makers first, and have not tried the "NON TRAN" books.

The hunt is on!!

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
Try also Welch, Forestville, and ....?Sessions?... whatever the company was the Welch became.... Probably way too early to be Sessions though. 1840s to 1860s would be my guess.

Andy

posted
I can,t believe i missed that.The whole train is gone alright.Where did it go Tom? Big Grin

posted
Kevin, once a train is gone it's hard to track. Mike

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Hi Tom, I believe the movement to be an E & A Ingrahams c. 1852-56. I had one like it, I remember the tombstone-like cutout in the plates. Check B&E also, I've seen it in their clocks also. Regards, Mike

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Michael,

You are right on. I went back and checked the front of Tran's Ingraham book, and there was a whole section on the early Ingrahams. I think we have a match!!

Thanks so much for all those that helped. Now.....where do I find a gear train?! Roll Eyes

Tom

posted
That must have been a really 'quick' look, Tom. I always feel for teh spring because I don't want to accidently buy a 30 hour for an 8 day price. At least you didn't pay too much.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce, It was a quick look, and early in the day. The item didn't come up for auction until very late in the day. I did the quick look and finger. I managed to feel the one spring that was there. The poosition of the winding arbors also gave away that it is a 30 hour.

I did notice that the winding arbor was missing as I looked at the dial and filed it away as a "pass on that one".

By the time the item came up there had been a lot of activity, bidding and looking. That part of my mental notepad had been erased. I bid, forgetting all the earlier looking. It was not one of the ones high on my list to want, so I didn't put that much importance on it. And promptly forgot about it.

It was only $35 and I think I am happy with the purchase. I love the old Ingrahams, and now I have a reason to hit the sales harder to find the appropriate movement for it. The hunt is half the fun.

Tom

posted
Tom you did ok for 35 bucks, hope you can find a train for it. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
OK This is going to look a bit suspicious, but I have found a movement for the clock.

At the same auction, I bought a box of movements, dials, pendulums etc. As I was digging through the box - I find the movement in the picture. Not only is it the right movement, it has the original hands attached!! Shortest hunt I have ever been on.

Now to clean it up, repair the veneer, overhaul the movement and sit back and smile!!

Tom

posted
Tom, today is your lucky day. Smile

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Can you put the parts for the alarm on this movement, the time ring and levers that attach to the alarm?

posted
Aw, gee Tom, I found the whole time train for that movement and was gonna send it to ya free, aw shucks, well, guess i'll put it on ebay fer a couple hunert dollas. Seriously, that sure was lucky for you. Reminded me of when I saw a case for an occidental at an auction on one table and the movement on another and the dial on yet another. Lucky for me that I was the only one who saw the 'marriage'. Got all three for $85.00. Good luck with your project. Yours in horology, Mike

posted
Yeah Tom, Andy has a good idea, and there is a hole on the complete movement for the alarm lever. nes pas? Mike

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have a couple of choices. I can use the original plates and get the gears from the second movement.

Or use the second movement and take the alarm lever from the original plate and rivit it to the second.

I will know more about the condition of the second movement when I get it cleaned.

I should have played the lottery today!

Michael, good eye spotting the separated pieces of a great clock.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
In that magic box of clock parts you bought, there didn't happen to be a JC Brown (or Forestville) 8 day spring movement, with alarm?

Andy Big Grin

posted
Tom,

You pulled a rabbit out of your posterior with that lucky second purchase!

I know when I went to the Barathy auction a year and a half ago, there were lots of people putting 2 and 2 and 2 together. Seems like he immediately separated the case from the movement from the dial for every clock and watch he had in service. And there appeared to be no way of identifying the various pieces except his memory that of course expired when he did.

One woman found her watch case in a box of spares, the movement in the cleaning machine and never did find the band and dial. I married a skeleton movement to its feet, but they started throwing 4 and 5 clocks together at a time towards auction end to speed things up and it went too high for me.

So congratulations on a successful auction purchase, even if you didn't know it at the time.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
this auction was in Chessening, not too far from you, I think. You weren't at that one were you?

Tom

posted
I think Chesaning is West of Flint, yes? I am SW of Lansing about 18 miles. No, I wasn't at this one. After my wife has her knee replacement this fall,we plan to get around to shows and auctions more. I still plan on Dearborn in September, mainly because I can do it in one day without an overnight stay.

CU Then.