• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info on Scottish clockmaker Young? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Today I saw a longcase clock arrive at an antique store. The white painted dial is signed "Young" and "Dundee" on either side of the center. The dial is very similar to the one on the clock in this thread..

The figures around the dial represent Robert Burns, Adam Ferguson, Alan Ramsay & Sir Walter Scott. The break arch scene is from Scott's "Lady of the Lake" rather than Burns & his muse as on Tom's clock. The paintings are well done and very colorful, but the white dial may have had some clumsy retouching. A very similar dial can be seen in the April 2005 Bulletin (no. 355, p. 186).

The case is inlaid mahogony, nicely finished but plainer than the one in the other thread, with plain half columns on the trunk, and no columns on hood.

Sir Walter Scott died in 1832, so this clock probably dates from mid-19th century. Anyone have any information about a clockmaker "Young" of Dundee, Scotland in that period? Also, any idea of value for such a clock? They haven't priced it yet. I only had a short look at the clock, but didn't see anything to indicate it wasn't all original.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Young ,William ,Dundee active 1805-1843. Price depends on case,dial and overall condition usually in the 2000 to 3500 range

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Thanks Douglas! That's a big help. The dealers haven't bought the clock yet, and will have a "clockmaker" in to have a look, so we'll see what they say.

That's the price range I was guessing. It's kind of a high end shop, so they may ask for more, but on the other hand they don't seem to think the case is a good match for the clock, so we'll see. I need to measure it, as it looks shorter than most longcase clocks, and may actually fit in my apartment Cool

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Pictures of the clock

Face: for the most part color in fine shape, clumsy retouching of dial area, including shiny paint on parts of numerals and white paint covering some of gold circle. Note damage circles below winding holes, and at bottom of the I numeral where dial feet are attached. Also some scrapes around edge of face. The three dial feet showing damage on face are attached to the movement, the other one is cut off because it would come against a plate pillar. The stump is smooth and painted black like the rest of the dial. Movement seems original to face and seat board, although it has shifted on the seat board.

Face

posted
Face fits hood opening. Works anchored to seatboard, but seatboard not fixed to case, so can move; probably cause of scrapes on edge of face. Nail & screw holes in seat board appear to match holes in case frame, but has had several different types of fasteners over the years.

upper part of clock

posted
Lower case. Pendulum is missing. Both weights present but out of case. Strike side weight must have fallen at some point as floor of case is broken out on that side; half of floor missing. Inlay is lighter & yellower than shown, as is mahogany case. Feet & finials present, haven't checked to see if finials are original, but look like it, unless style is wrong.

trunk

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Interesting and beautiful clock. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002