Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What kind of clock is this? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's a clock coming my way for repair. But, I can't figure out what it is. These are the best pictures I have for now.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Clock front

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Life Member
posted
The mounting brackets look like Junghans

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Could be. But, it appears to have solid plates, which isn't typical of most junghans.

Dave Turner

Life Member
posted
The Junghans "A" series movements were all solid plate. I believe. The only one I ever worked on was an A12, which was a three train movement in a mantle case. Parts of the chime works were mounted on a pair of arched plates bolted to the top edge of the solid front and back plates. Strike was by rack and snail. Because it was in a mantle case, the gong was a flat wire, mounted on the bottom of the case, much like the Hamburg American or some Seth Thomas Mantle clocks.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks David,
Might well be. I'm anxious to take a look at it.
Also wondering about that wheel just above and to the left of the mainspring barrel with the pins sticking out to the left.
Wonder if this is a pinwheel escapement? I really doubt it.
But, I can't find an example of a full plate clock like this with pinned plates. And the case is only about 20" high. Might be considered a miniature?

Dave Turner

Life Member
posted
That wheel looks to me like it is in the strike train. Those would be the hammer lifting pins.

I have to look at the photo again, to see the pins you mention. I don't recall any Junghans I have ever seen that used pillar pins to hold the plates. They did use cross pins in the mounting shafts to hold the rack and associated levers, and the intermediate hour/minute wheel though.

Just looked at the photo again. I am not certain those are pins holding the rear plate. The lower far pillar (although slightly out of focus) looks like it has a screw head protruding at the rear.