Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pequegnat Flagship... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...'bout a month ago I said I would post some photos of the movement in the Arthur Pequegnat 'Moncton' model below...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....well I said a week but I had to clear some cash clock work off the bench before I could get to the Moncton's annual physical...so stripped of her clothes is the 1st pinup pic of the Moncton's 'deadbeat escapement' movement...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
.....quite a simple time-only movement actually...here showing the backplate...the real effort is in the annual 'oil rub down'...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...rubbing down the case that is...here lastly is the stamped front plate..."Pequegnat Clock Company Canada"...had to doff my glasses to take these...put them on the bench chair...then proceeded to sit down to review the photos on my now broken glasses...Jim C

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Impressive. Thanks for the post. In a musium in Ottowa, there is a nice collection of these fine Canadian made clocks. I'm sad to say we don't see them often in the U.S.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Greg...should have said that the movement has two 8 day springs and the clock keeps
very good ('bout +/- 1 minute) time for about 15 1/2 days...Jim C

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Jim,
Thanks for the wonderful pictures. This is my first look at this great timepieces works. It looks like the well made clock I was expecting. I wish we would see more of these in the states.

Rich Kuhn

NAWCC 128623
IHC Member 155

eMail: rich@watchmakerfinds.com

Web-Site: http://watchmakerfinds.com

eBay Auctions: watchmakerfinds eBay Auctions

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Rich...actually the Pequegnat line of clocks are gaining in popular appeal in the States
...have seen quite a few Pequegnats (pronounced Peg-in-aw) at Ebay auction including several of the longcase models (would sell/trade my entire Pequegnat collection(13) for one of those)...btw:
am now taking my loupe shopping w/me for a few days until my readers are reframed...Smile...Jim C

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jim,
That's a great clock. Thanks for all the pictures.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Jim,
Great pics and a fabulous engine in the Moncton. These beauties are getting rare and it's good to see this one being taken care of properly. You have a treasure.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The various Pequegnat 8 day time and strike clocks I have seen had movements which looked similar to U.S. products of the period. Thus, I have wondered if Arthur Pequegnat started with tools and dies purchased from the U.S. or did he make his own tools for his own unique movements?

Thanks

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Tom...Ralph...yes Greg, I believe from my reading and research that while Arthur Pequegnat did 'copy' the design/engineering of, I
understand, several different US mfrs of the period, he did engineer minor differences into his movements and to that end did make his own dies, jigs and other tooling...have attached a phot of a 'typical' AP T/S movement from the AP 'Swan' model (ca 1916) which like many of his movements is 'distinquished ' by having the front plate nickel-plated...the Pequegnat 'factory' did have it's own toolroom and assembly operations with local/regional suppliers of foundry brass and cases.

[This message was edited by Jim Cope on October 06, 2003 at 17:42.]