Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

clockworks...sort of "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
My wife asked me to take a look at this doll. The insides actually looked familiar.
The doll is "Walking Wanda" and has the winding key on one side, and a flywheel stop on the other. When wound it walks, moves its hands and turns its head.

What other clockworks items can we find?

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Whoa!

Wanda is cool! I seem to vaguely recall those being advertised. Are there markings as to the manufacturer and when she was ah, constructed?

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
So, so cool Smile
Jack

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

There are also some very early (1880s) TALKING dolls. They use a clockwork phonograph motor, and played very small cylinder records. I believe Edison may have made some of the movements (not sure of this, though). I think the name of the one was "Madame Herndon", but I can't think of the other (May Starr?). Basically they had a small phonograph inside. I don't have any pictures of them. I just added these links:

Edison talking doll.

More.

Last (with sound).

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Lindell,
The doll is from the late 40s early 50s. She is not marked, but was made by the Advance Doll and Novelty Co.

Andy,
The Edison talking doll is very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002