Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Convert or not? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I just couldn't pass this Pocket Watch Clock up!

I've been thinking about blowing up a nice Elgin pocket watch dial, with seconds chapter, and replacing the current dial. I also plan on installing to battery movements: One which will drive the hour and minute hands and the other just to drive the seconds hand. I will purchase compatible hands and replace those currently on the clock.

Any thoughts?

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John,

Terrific idea!!

Why don't you go so far as to make it a Ferguson Dial while you are at it? This would add something really unusual to this clock.

Here is the picture you need to make the proper hands. I also have a picture of an Elgin Ferguson dial if you need one.

Ferguson Dial

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)
Proud IHC Member# 140 Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Phil,

Thanks for the kind offer! I will definitely take it under consideration.

John D. Duvall

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That sounds like a fun project John. Let us know how it comes out. There are some battery movements that won't give the seconds hand that "quartz tick" motion.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,

Thanks. What should I look for when purchasing the movement with the seconds arbor? Do they make quartz movements that have a smooth motion and is that usually mentioned in their description.

I plan on using a simple hour and minute movement and another movement with hours, minutes and seconds for the seconds chapter. Do they make a seconds-only movement? I'm afraid space between the two movements may be limited.

John D. Duvall

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John,
There is a battery mvt. made for high torsion (larger hands)situations. The movement of the seconds hand is smooth. More like an electric than a traditional quartz.

The movement is small - about 2" x 2".

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,

Thanks for the pic!

I was talking with Lindell last night and he has pocket watch clock that utilizes a main movement with a seconds movement slaved to it. If you have the S. LaRose 2002-2004 Keep Book, it's on page 227. It cost $8.95 and comes with hour, minute and seconds hand. This is exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to get the clock and get started. I'm thinking about choosing an Elgin dial that is appropriate for the case design.

Maybe I could make it run backwards? Not! Big Grin

John D. Duvall

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That looks like just the ticket!! I have never had occasion to use one of those. Can't wait to see how it all works out.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
My friend Wayne Cosby made one. He makes things just to see if he can. He made an Astro Clock dial. He used three quartz movements behind it, for hour, minutes, and seconds. It looked really neat, and was very accurate.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Steve,

Was it in a pocket watch case? I was just going to make a very large Elgin pocket watch out of this old clock. Attached are the pictures.

John D. Duvall

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I stumble across these quite often here in Tennessee when my wife and I go on our antique/junk shop outings. I keep threatening to pick up one myself, but most of the owners tend to think quite highly of them, price wise. Frown Ah well, one of these days. Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Wayne's Astro clock had a bezel, but was just a 16" dial, basically.

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve,

Although this appears to be a larger clock, its dial is only six inches. Just enough room for one movement.

John D. Duvall

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hi Steve!, you have created expectation with the Astro clock-watch, now we need a picture of Wayne´s creation Wink

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
I know Wayne's clock was hokey, but I loved it. It was simple, very accurate, and affordable as Astro's go. He is not to technically oriented. Maybe when I get by his place, I'll take my camera. Be patient.