Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

English Fusee Gallery "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I don't know much about English clocks, which I am assuming this is. I mentioned it to Ged in the Live Chat room. I am hoping with the pictures he and others can fill in the details of who and where and when this was made.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
There is a square opening on the side, and the curved opening on the bottom. The pendulum bob is lead with a brass cover. Very heavy.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
movement2

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The back of the dial. Note the feet for attaching to the movement.

Tom

posted
Wow Tom, nice clock, looks in good shape too.Am i correct it is a fusee?
The plates look very thick on the movement, bet they will last a long time.It will be interesting to get some information on this.
Thanks for posting it Tom.

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Tom, Can you show a pic' of front of movement ?. Thanks ,Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here you go Ged!

Tom

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Tom, Can't tell you much, I would say it's not very old as Dial Clocks go, I have one of 1812 vintage and the face is baked on enamel. This one looks painted ,maybe redone. A very sturdy movement but no idea who the maker might be. Sorry not to be of more help. Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Here's a nice old English Fusee Break Arch Bracket Clock I have. We bought it in England about twenty years ago. The clock dates back to around 1834 and was most likely made during the short reign (1830-1837) of William IV. For obvious reasons, the clock is affectionately known within our family as "William" Big Grin

The movement in my clock is very similar to the one that Tom has shown above.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Tom. I have the identical clock, although the dial is not a tidy as yours. Please post all and any info. gmaci

Posts: 19 | Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 16, 2004
posted
Tom & Gordon,
having grown up in the U.K. I remember many years ago seeing a lot of fusee clocks just like the one that Tom has shown. Of course at the time, I had no idea what they were except a clock. Back in the 40's/50's they were in most schools, railway stations and other public places. Most likely they'd been hanging there for many years before I saw them.

I'd expect when electric clocks took off, the old fusees were all replaced. A bit like the fate of the Seth Thomas N0. 2's & 3's in this country.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Tom, See if the lending library has "English Dial Clocks" by Ronald E. Rose. Great book for identifying Eng. dial clocks. If they don't have it, I do. Post pictures of side view of bezel, is dial iron or brass? Any numbers on plates or any other marks? Being oak, it is probably later than 1870. Mike

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
I just remembered one other thing, chain fusee- good sign of a quality clock. Mike

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005