Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

International Time Recorder Wall Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David A. Garas
posted
Hi every body I just picked up this clock at a local live auction. It is powered buy either AC or DC Confused I am hoping some one can give me some insight so I can get it going. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also I need to get the pendulum replanted I am not sure if I should have it done locally or send it somewhere.

time recorder 1

Posts: 54 | Location: Rockford, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: October 02, 2004
posted
Picture 2

pic 2

posted
pic 3

pic 3

posted
pic 4

pic 4

posted
pic 5

pic 5

posted
pic 6

pic 6

posted
pic 7

pic 7

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting Clock David!

The only thing I recognize is the "International Business Machines" emblem, which is probably the "IBM" of later years. Perhaps the date code "504012" would translate to May 4th 1921 but that is only a guess. I always try to pin down a date when possible.

A few minutes ago I spoke with Harvey Schmidt and he immediately recognized what you have. I've also placed a call to William Ellison and hope to hear back from him. Chapter 78 has no internet presence at this time. They do publish a printed journal.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell I am pretty sure it runs on low voltage but I want to be sure so I don't burn out the coil. Red Face I have a friend who has one similar but made in the US and it runs on 12 volts DC.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

With all that information on the plates, you'd think the voltage would be there too!

My bet is same as yours as these ran on 6 or 12 volt storage batteries.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
David,
the clock similar to your, that I have seen, run on dc. I believe Radio Shack has an adapter that you can plug in to the wall and have the clock run without the expense of going through batteries.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Tom what voltage should I go for.
Dave

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
David, I believe it is the three volt. But I will check with my friend, Norm, at the clock shop who has done this with several.

I will get back tomorrow with specifics.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom Big Grin I look forward to hearing from you.
Dave

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi David,
I don't know anything about Clocks, but this SURE IS A NICE LOOKING CLOCK!

Great Clock! Congratulations!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Pete Cronos
posted
At the National in OKC this year they had a siminar on Self Winding Clocks. The speaker was Rodney King I think. (He lives in Oklahoma City) He seemed very knowledgeable about the self winding clocks and may be able to help on the voltage. He collected both the US made and Foreign made. I have a square boxed one that I use to run on 2 D cell flashlight batteries. I overhauled one for a Hospitial one time and they had a 3 volt DC power supply. But both of these were US made.
Good Luck
Pete Cronos

Posts: 121 | Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas USA | Registered: April 23, 2003
posted
Thanks Tom I did have a 6 volt DC transformer I tried and it made a small click. I think I have a 12 volt one also but I will have to find it. If that don't do it I believe it is 24 volts but I am having a hard time finding 24 volts DC anywhere.
Dave

IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Greetings David,

I have several self winding clocks like similar to yours. Mine are "self-winding clock co. NY style F but my guess is that they were very similar. An expert on this type of clock is a woman by the name of Marybess H. Grisham who is a certified clockmaker and her phone # is 214-351-5554. She authored an article in the Bulletin (April 1992) on self winding clocks and this article is very detailed with drawings. I know she has reprints of the same article for a small fee and it is priceless! I have several self-winding clocks and I purchased a small motorcycle battery that is rechargable, it works wonderful. It lasts about 1 & 1/2 years before it needs a charge. Its either a 6 volt or 12 volt battery. I'm quite sure that your clock does not require a 24 volt battery. I believe that most self winding clocks were 3 volts. I use a higher volt battery in my clock and it has'nt hurt it through out the years, but I wouldnt recommend a 24 volt battery. Give Ms. Grisham a call and without a doubt, she will know about your clock. If you dont get results there, contact me and we will get your clock running. Email = Gold2you@aol.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Sam!

Your willingness to provide all that advice and information is in the best tradition of our chapter and our great association of collectors.

I'm sure David and others will find it very helpful.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Hi every one I just want to thank every one for all the help. It is nice to be able to post something and get so much help. Big Grin
Regards, Dave