• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stimulate a little activity? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This part of the board seems to have gone stagnant of late. Does anyone recognize this clock?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6541...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Thanks much,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Hi Dick
That is a neat clock. Sorry I don't know a thing about it but I love advertising clocks.

I recently acquired a very meaningful one for me--a New Haven wall clock with a Chattanooga Medicine Company ad. Since I live in Chattanooga suburb and am a pharmacist and have an old bottle of Wine of Cardui, I had to have it!

Will try to attach a photo.

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Here is a second photo of the same clock
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Dick,
That clock looks new to me. It looks like the dial is painted along with the outer ring, no bezel. I guess it is something you would need to see in person.

Pattye,
Nice clock. Do you recognize this house, on Missionary Ridge? One of my favorites. Smile

http://mrhd.org/index_files/Expics/pic5.JPG

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Yes, Andy,
That one sold for a premium price a few years ago. Was Wright the architect?
Pattye

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Pattye,
Yes, by Frank Lloyd Wright, built in 1952. Nice view from there! That picture is from another website. I have pictures of it I took from the other side 15+ years ago.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Dick, that clock is a Baird. I don't know if it's old or not, but Baird made many different clocks for each advertising client.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Steve and all,
Thank you for your replies. There is, after all, life in the world of clocks.

I was suspicious that clock might be a Baird. I wrote the seller who is an agent for the owner. The seller has not one clue about clocks but told me he could tell time pretty well. (He is an obvious waste of good skin if he does not collect clocks). He also gave me the owner's telephone number and told me the clock owner is a collector and could give me a better description. I will call the owner tomorrow. If anything earth shattering comes up, I will post again.
Again, thanks for your responses.
Dick

posted
Today I spoke with the owner of the clock. A very nice man in Wisconsin told me that the clock is "something someone made" He bought it at a yard sale about 11 years ago and said that he has enjoyed it that long. It has an old movement with a starburst pendulum.
Dick

posted
Dick that is a neat clock, i like advertising clocks too, i could haver never been able to tell it was made by someone.
Pattye your clock is very nice, you have good taste in clocks. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The clock seems to have the Baird style, but there were a lot of reproductions made, and some copycat versions as well.

Here is a picture from Clock and Watch Advertising by Bernie Edwards. It shows a New Haven and two Bairds.

I agree that you would have to see this one in person to get a feel for age and originality.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002