Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keyless car clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi been rummaging through all the stuff and found this looks interesting I wound it up (twisting the bezel) pulled and set the hands its running!.
I know nohting about these so

Who?
When?
What cars?
and of course any idea of value?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Usually auto clocks were sold by independant dealers so two identical clocks could be installed in two different brand cars. They were usually mounted or installed in the dash.

The example you have wold have been installed in a 1916 or later motel car. The flange around the clock indicates that this application would have been installed into a dash. A hole would be cut out in the dash and the clock inserted into the hole and then screwed down.

Here is an example of an auto clock that woul dhave been surface mounted to a dash board that would have been straight up and down.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Chris

Don't know how useful this is to you but I am going to see if I can find further.

In 1915 the Keyless Auto Clock Company was incorporated in New York City with $125,000 by A. Perry, F. Phinney, E. J. Hogerty

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Me again, they were also called the Phinney-Walker Keyless & Rim Setting auto clock made by the Phinney-Walker Keyless Clock Company, 79 East 130 Street, NY, NY

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ad

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Guys,

Interesting clock, love the add you found, did you notice its a English bi-plane, wonder if they did supply them to the RFC/RAF. My grandafather flew them for the RFC.
Will digging aaround I found about 5 more 8 day & car clocks will have to take a few photos

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "Made for U.S. Navy" ad, I can bellieve. Also illustrating the ad with the British Tri-Color "Bullseye" on the wings (I always did wonder about that) certainly "Rings" with the closing days of WWI.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I just acquired Navy version of the Keyless Auto Clock Company's clock. After putting in a missing dial screw and pullung the face away from the second hand, it runs. It winds ok, buy I can not set it. After investigating, (I am not much of a clock man, more a steam engine type) I suspect it is because the small (3/8")gear that should engage the large ring gear when the rim is pulled out just spins freely on the shaft.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And, Tom, is it possible to get a larger version of the advertisement that you posted last April 2?

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Near Austin, Texas in the USA | Registered: March 15, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Robert

I am trying to find the ad again, I didn't save it last time. If I find it I will email it to you.

Tom

posted
Thanks, Tom, I appreciate your efforts. Now if I could just get the set function to work. Something is missing somewhere.

I did fix the 3/8 inch set gear to the spring loaded shaft. And, when the case is off, I can push the shaft toward the face and engage the gears that set the clock by rotating the 3/8" gear. I haven't a clue as to how this is supposed to work by pulling the bazil forward. Is there anyone formilliar with the keyless auto clock that could clue me in?

Posts: 2 | Location: Near Austin, Texas in the USA | Registered: March 15, 2010